Preparing for the lab session and technical lecture in ME 4006 (Mechanical Engineering Lab)

As a part of my fellowship requirements, I had to teach a lab session of five students and deliver a technical lecture to a class of almost sixty students. I was excited and nervous at the same time to have the opportunity of teaching a big class ever. I knew that it would not be an easy task for me as I was doing it for the first time in my life. So, I arranged a practice lecture one week before the actual lecture. I invited my adviser and other GTAs to my practice lecture. To get along with the equipment and classroom, my adviser reserved a classroom almost similar to the original scheduled classroom. After the mock presentation, I received some valuable comments regarding my slide design and presentation skills from my adviser and other GTAs. I think it was very helpful and necessary to improve my presentation. To practice the lab session, I attended a lab session administered by the lead GTA of the lab. It gave me the ideas about the issues that I might need to address during my lab. I also reviewed the background or the knowledge required to conduct the lab session and the technical lecture. For the technical lecture, I organized my talk and also video recorded my mock presentation at home. This is how I prepared the lectures and achieved confidence about them.