Mission Statement Blog

Virginia Tech:

Inspired by our land-grant identity and guided by our motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech is an inclusive community of knowledge, discovery, and creativity dedicated to improving the quality of life and the human condition within the Commonwealth of Virginia and throughout the world.

University of Florida:

The University of Florida is a comprehensive learning institution built on a land-grant foundation. We are The Gator Nation, a diverse community dedicated to excellence in education and research and shaping a better future for Florida, the nation and the world.

Our mission is to enable our students to lead and influence the next generation and beyond for economic, cultural and societal benefit.

The university welcomes the full exploration of its intellectual boundaries and supports its faculty and students in the creation of new knowledge and the pursuit of new ideas.

• Teaching is a fundamental purpose of this university at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
  • Research and scholarship are integral to the educational process and to the expansion of our understanding of the natural world, the intellect and the senses.
  • Service reflects the university’s obligation to share the benefits of its research and knowledge for the public good. The university serves the nation’s and the state’s critical needs by contributing to a well-qualified and broadly diverse citizenry, leadership and workforce.

The University of Florida must create the broadly diverse environment necessary to foster multi-cultural skills and perspectives in its teaching and research for its students to contribute and succeed in the world of the 21st century.

These three interlocking elements — teaching, research and scholarship, and service — span all the university’s academic disciplines and represent the university’s commitment to lead and serve the state of Florida, the nation and the world by pursuing and disseminating new knowledge while building upon the experiences of the past. The university aspires to advance by strengthening the human condition and improving the quality of life.

I chose these two specific higher education institutions because I just graduated with my B.S at the University of Florida, which is my first semester as a master’s student here at Virginia Tech. I wanted to see if the two schools’ mission statements parallel to each other in any way. Also, I wanted to give a personal opinion on if the schools hold up to their mission statement. I have now been to both universities. Both of these universities are public and in the United States.

Off the back, the first thing I noticed was the difference I length between the two universities. Floridas mission statement is about four times as long as the Virginia Tech mission statement. Virginia’s mission statement appears to be a more broad view of the goals of the university. In contrast, Florida dives a lot more in-depth look into their plans for students. For prospective students, a longer mission statement is excellent because it gives you a better overview of what to expect from a university. Tech’s mission statement is a little short and generic sounding to me. It could benefit from expansion.

However, I think overall, the two mission statements both have very similar content. They are focusing on knowledge, inclusions, education, teaching, and research. These all seem to be common buzz words used throughout mission statements in the U.S. I think the university of Florida preaches a lot more than they practice. From an undergraduate perspective, they do not care much about their students, in my opinion. As an undergrad, you must be a very independent student and motivated, or you will not pass. I think they could be doing a lot more to motivate their students.

Overall, I believe mission statements at higher education universities in the united states are all pretty similar. They tend to sound similar and cover the same topics. Still, they can be a valuable tool to decide a university that connects with your values.

One thought on “Mission Statement Blog

• September 14, 2020 at 8:38 pm
    Permalink

Hi, this is a comment.
    To get started with moderating, editing, and deleting comments, please visit the Comments screen in the dashboard.
    Commenter avatars come from Gravatar.

Reply