Secondary Sources

This week I needed to return two books with short loan times to ILLiad. So, I chose to read them.

Hardin, Joyce. Sojourners: Women with a Mission. Korean Consolidated Corp, 1973.

Ms. Hardin, a former missionary to Korea, wrote this book as a “help” for other missionary women headed to the mission field. For my purposes, she outlines the experiences, feelings, emotions, many people have when starting a mission in a foreign country. She also speaks pointedly to cultural difference between Koreans and Americans.

Lee, Kyung-Lim Shin. Pear Blossoms Blooming: The History of American Women Missionaries at Ewha Womans University. First Prinitng edition. Ewha Womans University Press, 1989.

This is a history of Ewha University in Korea. The school was started by female missionary Mary Scranton when she was 52 years old. It pulls heavily from primary sources I’ve already read.

I also read a dissertation this week.

Park, Bokyoung. The Contribution of Korean Christian Women to the Church and Its Mission: Implications for an Evangelical Missiology. Pasadena, Calif: Fuller Theological Seminary, 1999.

This dissertation illuminated Confucian expectations for women coming into the turn of the twentieth century and at the time of the turn. Included were some interesting fiction pieces about the life of Korean women describing their Han or suffering as well as explanations for ideas such as samjongjido or the three masters of women and namjon yobi or translated means “men should be respected, women should be denigrated.” The bibliography is a wonderful source for secondary works in Korean on Korean women’s work at the turn of the twentieth century as Bible women.

One last note to Dr. Jones. – I will definitely work on the section of the bibliography you suggested.

7 Responses to Secondary Sources

1. Sara

Wow, Faith–you did a lot of reading this week! I’m curious to know if the notes above are examples of your citeable notes, or if you use a different method for your personal (non-blog) notes. I found that one of the main things missing from my notes were the authors’ arguments, and so I needed to make a conscious effort to focus on that. Have you had any difficulty with this, or have any suggestions on note-taking/source evaluation?

• faithskiles

Hi Sara,

No, these aren’t examples of my citable notes. The last time I posted citable notes I had so many….hahahaha…I just tried to do a summary; however, I can tell that is not helpful either. While I have the argument written down for these works in my notes, the arguments, especially in the first two, are either biased or have personal experience foundation and as such are less important than other aspects- for example, cultural differences or how ideas of Korean Confucianism are articulated in the Korean language. If I use the arguments, it will probably be to show that more scholarly assessments would need to be done. I am currently reading more scholarly works as well, which are much longer and need a close read so are not done yet. I find note taking not easy either and I tend to have a lot of notes…hahahaha…It’s our first time putting together a project like this. We can do our best to take good advice, but there is nothing like experience and figure out what works for you. 🙂

2. Anonymous

I second Sara’s question. Also wondered immediately what the “emotions” and “feelings” were that were described in the first book and whether you think those emotions can serve as a guide when you are working to understand the missionaries of the early twentieth century? Emotional cultures change, for sure, still it seems like the overall perspective might be suggestive.
    Re the dissertation: when you say “illuminated” expectations I want to know what those expectations were and how the author shed light on them. Think in terms of returning to your notes next year and trying to remember what the main point of the diss was! Then again, perhaps these are simple summaries of your citeable notes – a list to capture and report on reading progress?

• faithskiles

Yes, I did try to, in shorter fashion, give an idea of what I read this week and as I told Sarah, I don’t think the summaries are very helpful. I am trying to find a good medium for a blog post on talking about secondary sources. I also agree that actually everything I read this week was biased, suggestive or written on a personal experience foundation and as such, are only useful in part after recognizing the author’s intent and audience. They are helpful, however, in giving concrete examples of cultural differences, as well as the way Confucian ideas are articulated in the Korean language. I am currently reading more scholarly works with strong well-founded, researched arguments. They are much longer and require a close read so I am not done reading them yet.

• KJ

I think you’re suggesting that the readings serve as sort of a bridge between the scholarly works and the primary research? An interesting way of categorizing, thinking about them that might open some new paths (don’t want to say research paths, more like thoughtways).

3. faithskiles

Absolutely. I believe they do open up, as you term it, “thought ways,” which I think are important, especially when turning your eye towards evaluating the primary sources as well as understanding, evaluating and finding your niche in scholarly work already done.