Searching and Finding….Alot!

Is there a limit on the number of items you can request from ILLiad?

I hope not.

My list for ILLiad books is getting very long and it is all due to our assignment to explore databases for secondary source literature. I explored WorldCat, Center for Research Libraries, ABI/INFORM Global and Jstor. While I will have to explore these data bases more thoroughly and with different search terms as well as explore others, I have a good start and as much as I can handle at the moment.

As I write this, 31 reels of microfilm await me at the library loaned through the Center for Research Libraries. (Dr. Schneider helped me with this.) I have 22 books or dissertation requests lined up on ILLiad. Two are in Korean on subjects I am very interested in, but translation will be a challenge and will need to center on the most important passages for my research. I also have a number of articles downloaded from the ABI/INFORM search.

After I read our readings for this week, I found the searching to be relatively easy and as I’ve said, very fruitful. What surprised me was the number of dissertations available for loan in my area of interest. As for the way I am thinking about my project, it seems to always be in flux as thoughts, ideas from instructors and data base searches all inform my thinking.

Some of my thoughts though, are not particularly about my topic, per se…

As I sit here looking back over this post, I’m just wondering, am I about to wallow in a sea of too much “stuff” or is this just the normal panic mentioned in Kate Turabian’s book????….????

How is everyone else coming along????

A postscript: I should have read Sara’s entry before entering the world of data bases. 🙂

5 Responses to Searching and Finding….Alot!

1. KJ

Turabian’s keyword for approaching secondary sources seems to be “skim” and I’d add sort — into essential, must evaluate, and interesting but probably don’t need. I also find it helpful to note why I thought the thing I ILL’ed was important, because often by the time it arrives I’ve forgotten what prompted me to want it!

2. faithskiles

I think sorting is definitely in order! I will look through my list and sort before stuff starts arriving!

3. Kate Good

There is zero limit on ILL!! I love the system. The part that stinks is you can’t keep books very long, so our interactive reading strategies will definitely come in handy there (although you can also ILL a specific chapter or two from a book that they will usually get you a scan of).

You seem like you’re on such a roll! Your project is fascinating and it’s awesome watching it come together — your panic is of the normal sort at just the right amount 🙂

4. Carmen Bolt

Faith,

In many ways I think we have opposite problems! While it seems that your searches are teeming with results that will be useful to you, I have struggled to find a lot of sources on my specific topic. However, I believe that by backing up and broadening my search to the more vague “disaster” or “flood disaster”, I may start seeing you more often at the Illiad pick-up.

I am also encouraged by the number of dissertations that may be helpful in my research. I had not considered before how useful they might be, but I believe by poring over their bibliographies, I might find additional sources to help me get started.

5. Kevin "Tiny" Dawson

Good morning Faith,
    I am quite fascinated by your research ideas and the way that your thesis is coming together. Being raised in a family church (a conservative Southern Baptist church), I was raised hearing all about Lottie Moon, a female missionary. This made me think that a possible area of research might be church records in both the United States and Korea. I know that this sounds very basic, but it might be worth a try to look at the Mormon database, as they have a ton of records from many different cultures. This may turn up some information for you. Good luck.