Open Access Civil Engineering

If you had asked me a week ago to name an open access journal for civil engineering, I don’t think I could have named one. But today I found the Archives of Civil Engineering, hosted by the Journal of the Polish Academy of Sciences.   From their website, they “publish original papers of the theoretical, experimental, numerical and practical nature in the fields of structural mechanics, soil mechanics and foundations engineering, concrete, metal, timber and composite polymer structures, hydrotechnical structures, roads, railways and bridges, building services, building physics, management in construction, production of construction materials, construction of civil engineering structures, education of civil engineers.”

They state that “all articles are available on the internet to all users immediately upon publication. Non-commercial use and distribution in any medium is permitted, provided the author and the journal are properly credited.”  So this journal appears to be fully open access.  There is no page limit, and there are two reviewers assigned to so a peer review, though it is a “single-blind” review process (meaning the authors do not know who reviews their paper).

I am not entirely sure if I would publish in this journal. I would have to do some more digging around to determine if this journal is a good fit for me. However, I think I would be open to publishing in some open access journals in the future.

1 Comment

• erinleighvt says:

Seems like this journal has an extremely wide breadth of things it covers. I too would need to do more research on open access journals within my field before deciding if I wanted to publish in one.