Faculty and MOOCs

I found this infographic from Chronicle of Higher Ed that shows some numbers describing how Massive Open Online Courses have disrupted the typical structure of college courses:

I haven’t taught a full course before, but I would guess a few differences between these figures and the typical on campus course:

• Most professors do not teach over 33000 students at a time, which means that students taking MOOCs will not get the individualized attention they need to succeed.
  • According to the graphic, less than 10% of the students pass. That is certainly not representative of traditional on campus rates. Not sure if it’s the method of delivery or if it is student commitment to the course, but something seems off here
  • It  seems unfair that professors could teach so many students with so few hours per week (only 8 per week, which I think is on the lower end of how much time on campus instructors spend per week).

I don’t know much more than this about MOOCs, but from this graphic alone, I think there are some significant issues.  I will say that I’m sure there are many people who could not get a degree without access to MOOCs, so they can’t be all evil…  but maybe there is some room for improvement.

1 Comment

• erinleighvt says:

Wow – this graphic makes it sounds like MOOCs are awful. It does seem that a 10% pass rate is ridiculously low and that having thousands of students at once is not a productive system to have in place.