Mindful Learning

After reading Ellen Langer’s Mindful Learning, one point in particular really stood as as being fundamental to my educational experiences, especially in engineering courses. The article calls out several myths about learning, the first of which is that “the basics should be learned so well that they become second nature.”

Undergraduate engineering courses tend to be packed to the brim with memorizing equations, practicing over and over how to approach problem sets, and the like. I’ve always believed that this was the only way to approach engineering education, but as I look back, it’s clear that a lot of this memorization didn’t make a very meaningful impact on me, given the amount that I’ve forgotten after only 2 years after undergrad. This focus on memorization is a hard mold to break, as I think it is valued in industry, even if not practiced. One time at a job interview for an internship, I was asked to recite a series of equations that are fundamental to civil engineering. Fortunately I knew the equations at the time, but I’m sure I couldn’t recite them today.

The article suggests that the alternative may be to present learning opportunities as situations where students have options about how they choose to apply knowledge and approach problems “mindfully”, which in turn has been shown to make students more easily adaptable to change. This approach makes a lot of sense: when I think back to solving problem sets in engineering, I was more likely to memorize an approach for solving problems rather than actually learn how to reason through a problem and mindfully reach a solution. Hopefully such mindful learning is a life-long skill rather than something to be memorized for a course and then quickly forgotten.

2 Responses to Mindful Learning

1. Ken Black

Hi,

I agree with you on how memorization is not the only way to learn and retain information. Personally, memorization is a weak point for me; however some academics thrive there and can produce mountains of facts they have accumulated. Is there a way to combine working through a problem “mindfully” at first to understand the larger concept to a point where approaching the problem is memorized in a way?

As an educator and a filter for information in the future, how would you see yourself helping students to be confident in their abilities where this critical analysis is second nature, rather than the common comfort that is memorization?

2. Ayesha

Memorizing does not = learning basics skills (so i agree with your point), but unfortunately a lot of teachers and faculty are either lazy, or lack creativity to come up with systems that allow students to find alternative ways of honing basic skills. I believe asking students to memorize extraordinary amount of text is taking the easy way out and it takes away from instilling valuable knowledge. I also agree that most of the stuff I have ever memorized, has been temporarily stored in my memory and often I struggle to recall it because I never got a chance to fully apply what I was learning. I am sure that application may not be the best strategy for some people but we will never know unless we try.