Event Poster

As a part of our study of graphic design, we were told to design an event poster using various Adobe software like InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop. We were limited to using the font we created in an earlier assignment, as as well as a secondary font. When considering a concept for the poster, the event and overall theme of the poster needed to complement our font.

ABC

I knew I wanted to do something extravagant to correlate with the exaggerated serifs of my letters. Looking at my typeface, I just felt that it would do well with a Roaring 20’s theme attached to it. After finding my theme, I did research on past events, and even considered creating my own event to fit my idea.The event I chose to create a poster for was the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s annual Costume Institute gala, which was held in New York City in 2005. The theme for that year was “The House of Chanel”, paying tribute to Coco Chanel and her century-long fashion legacy, which hit its stride in the 1920’s.

For my poster, I decided to draw a basic profile sketch of one of Coco Chanel’s portraits. I wanted to keep the elements of the poster simple, so I used only four colors: red, white, black, and gold. These, along with beige, are the only colors Chanel ever used; the brand is still well-known for its classic palette. The minimal use of white and red are meant to highlight two components of her signature look, which were her pearls and her red lipstick. The background of my poster is Art-Deco inspired, most noticeable in my use of metallic gold, along with the sunburst that stems from the outline of the cityscape.

FINAL 4