Decisions, decisions.

Augh, how on earth am I supposed to decide on a topic for our final project for Writing and Digital Media? I’ve got two ideas, both of them equally exciting, that I have to choose between, and it’s a source of some real consternation. A brief overview of where I might be going with both:

1. Online Identity

My argument focuses on the idea that online and real-world identities are beginning to merge in unusual ways, and that managing both simultaneously is a complex task that grows ever more complicated with each new bit of personal information shared, voluntarily or not, online. I would shift the focus and content of the original essay to how the nature of the Tumblr community impacts the sort of information people share about themselves on it. Presenting an essay about a particular platform on the platform itself would be an interesting exploration of how it works in real-time. I would incorporate multimedia elements and feature links to relevant sources within the body of the blog.

or

2. Glitch Art

Some individuals are reluctant to classify glitch art as art, as its production involves much more in the way of trial and error and an eye for aesthetic than physically doing the kind of work or requiring the kind of technical talent needed to produce other types of art. Because glitch art is inherently random, its critics sometimes claim that there is no skill involved in its production and it is more of a novelty than a legitimate art form. I, however, would argue that glitch art is art in the same way that photography is art: while the machine you’re using is technically doing all the “work,” there can be just as much thought and effort that goes into composing, editing, and curating glitches as there might be in any other artistic medium.

I know, I know, better this than having no ideas at all — I guess I’ll just blog a bunch about whichever one I don’t use to compensate.