Feedback (literal and metaphorical)

For a rough, rough cut, my video project went over surprisingly well. The secret, I think, was decent audio: I used the recording booth at the Innovation Space and was pleasantly surprised at how my voice sounded when I played my narrative back. Most folks seem weirded out by how their voice sounds in recordings, but I suggest that the phenomenon may have to do with microphone quality. The audio I got actually sounded like me this time around — at a lower pitch and less resonant than it usually sounds bouncing around in my own skull, but definitely me. This was the first time I’d used a sound booth, and was glad I’d practiced my script several times before recording — I had no idea how to set up the equipment at first, but luckily it was pretty easy to adjust and the end result was definitely worthwhile.

Getting solid feedback from my classmates was a pleasant surprise as well. Workshop sessions are always a bit awkward, but the forms really helped everyone focus their critiques, and I came away reassured that I was headed in the right direction. I was also excited to see previews of everyone else’s narratives. I’ve always loved behind-the-scenes specials, and it was particularly interesting to see the different approaches that folks had taken when assembling their stories. The finished pieces are sure to be lovely, but there’s something about seeing all these projects in their awkward, half-assembled glory that makes me strangely happy. There’s something particularly honest about the mess, and as much as I’m looking forward to our Sundance-style film festival next Wednesday, I’m glad we got to see one another’s works in progress first.