The or cha.

I was going to attempt to make an awful joke about not wanting to write this blog post for “all the tea in China,” but that would be far too melodramatic and possibly culturally insensitive.

Tea (or at least the practice of consuming it) originated somewhere in China and spread throughout Asia via trade routes. Complex tea traditions have developed all across Asia through the ages, from the use of tea bricks as currency in China to its popularity among both samurai and Buddhist monks in feudal Japan to its use as a unique staple food in parts of Tibet and Burma. I really should have broken China and Japan into two different sections in our curriculum because while they’re related geographically, their cultures are their own and should be respected appropriately. Here’s a cool article talking about the differences between types of tea ceremonies in Japan and China.

Tea of the week: Jasmine green loose-leaf stuff from the health food store. Man, this was good. It smelled like a flowery explosion and was really refreshing after the plain black tea with milk I’ve been favoring lately. I still wish I could find a proper infuser so we wouldn’t have all the leaves floating around and getting caught in people’s teeth. A fair number of people don’t care for floral teas because they’re convinced they’ll taste like perfume, but I’d encourage everybody to give them a try — the flavors themselves are often very mild in comparison to the scents, and you might be in for a treat.