3/20 Post

What I Did and Why I Did It 
Before I could find sources for “Little Red Riding Hood,” I wanted to do a little research into how far back the story went. My goal was to find the original story, one that was well-known, and a more contemporary version so that I could compare them. My research led me to discover that the original story went further back than I had originally anticipated–the earliest printed version was written by Charles Perrault during the 17th century. This version is definitely the most gruesome, where Red is actually eaten by the wolf. I made sure to check a few websites to see if the story was the same on all of them, so I’m sure that the text I found is absolutely credible.

The second story–a well known retelling of the first–is the version done by the Brothers Grimm. It’s also pretty violent, but it ends with, “…Red Riding Hood went joyously home, and no one ever did anything to harm her again.” This retelling is probably the most recognized, especially since Brothers Grimm is so popular.

The third source I found is in the form of a movie–Hoodwinked. While it’s very different from the first two versions of “Little Red Riding Hood,” I think the differences are done well. It takes two short stories and expands on the characters. It’s supposed to be a comedy whereas the other two are more akin to horror, so I’ll have to take that into consideration when I study it further. I think it’s good to have something so different to compare the other stories to; it’ll help me think outside the box and realize the limitations of the Perrault and Brothers Grimm versions.

• Links
  1. Perrault
  2. Brothers Grimm