WEEK 9: Final Research Project – Ethics in Planning: A Review of the AICP Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct

For the final research project, I want to conduct a critical review of the American Institute of Certified Planners – AICP Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct as it relates to research integrity in the urban planning profession. As a professional planning practitioner (transportation planner) with a career goal of becoming planning researcher (applied research), I have a vested interest in understanding how my profession addresses issues of integrity, which may have direct implication on both my professional and academic career.

Also, I am considering becoming a Certified Planners (i.e. AICP). To this end, I want to understand the ethics and consequences of the use and misuse of the AICP credential. Taking a more critical look, from the academic perspective, about how the American Institute of Certified Planners Institute’s Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct relates to allied professions in the social sciences (urban studies, local and regional planning, public administration, etc.). This project will focus on how the AICP or the American Planning Association, address or take actions about ethical misconduct.