Even though we haven’t had our class for two weeks, the midterm and other projects helped me a lot to learn Ubuntu Operating System, Ubuntu terminal, Python etc. There is still a long way to go, but I am in the process of getting there. In addition, we got our grades for the first exam. I got a better grade that what I anticipated. Looking at the schedule, I see that we are behind in schedule, mostly in projects. I have been experimenting with some new Unix commands in the terminal. Data/ files manipulation in Ubuntu is so much easier than windows in Unix terminal. Shortcut keys such as cp and mv enables you to make copies and pasted them in directories which can also be created by typing mkdir. I am looking forward to do more assignments in C++.
For ECE 3574, I completed my first GUI project. It was a simple QWidget which had four buttons. Each button had a signal which connected to a corresponding slot and performed associated action. In addition to that, our 2nd GUI project was assigned as well. HW5 demands us to implement a log in page where the information is stored in password.dat file. If the user enters the password correctly, the user is then directed to play a tic-tac-toe game. Meanwhile, there are other frames which could register a new user, change password, display welcome screen, etc. This project might be tough, but using Unix Philosophies of modularity might simplify this project. These are my updates for this week. Check back next week for more updates.
We finally had our first midterm for ECE 2524. Before the day of the exam, I went over the lecture notes and sample exercises for the exam. I felt pretty confident, but the exam did not end up what I was expecting. Downloading the file, working on the file i.e. solving all the questions, and uploading the file back up on scholar took too long. In addition, the instructions/questions or the guidelines for the exam were so long that it took about 20-25 minutes to read and comprehend the questions. I did not think that the exam was tough, but the time spent on others things did not allow me to work on the actual test. As a result, I had to rush through the exam and make guesses through out the exam. There was also a part where the function to record script wasn’t right. It took me three tries to figure out that the syntax was wrong, so I was not able to show my work for question 4. Since this class is a point based system, I believe that I could still get a decent grade if possible an A, if I do well on the other projects.
As far as ECE 3574, we got our first GUI assignment. The project doesn’t seem that difficult, if we use the QT creator, but the instructions specify us not to use it. In addition, we have to use signal and slots to map the corresponds parent elements of the Qwidget to its child elements. I think this might be tricky. Well, these are my updates for this week. Please check back next week for more updates.
The first few Python projects weren’t as difficult as the latest homework(homework 4). Despite having a decent knowledge in Python syntax, homework 4 is taking a fair bit of time. We have to create a mini language in Python. The basic functionality of the program involves getting keywords from the user commands and executing them such as adding files, removing, sort, search, etc. So far I have implemented two of the functions and it was very tough doing that. Initially, I created a list to store the data. I later realized that this could improved by having a dictionary which stores two values for each node of the list instead of one. This enables us to have the data variable name in one field and the content in the other. After making slight modifications to the existing code, I was able to implement it using both list and a Dictionary. I am planning on finishing this project today or tomorrow based on my workload.
For the first time, I have projects due for Software Engineering and Unix within two days. The project for Unix is due on Wednesday and the project for Software engineering is due on Friday. For the software engineering project, I have to loop across Directories and print out files and associated memory of each files and directories. The Qt libraries have several built in functions that we can use to iterate through the directories and files.
Previously, the sound was not working while I was on the Unix system. After doing some research and installing some drives, it was finally working. I later realized that the sound was not coming from the head phone jack. Presently, I am working on that issues. These are my updates for week 3/4> Please check back next week for a new post.