The Bottle Résumé version 1.2 is here!

Pictures:

Resumebottle1.2

Resumebottle1.2

Skills used:

Microsoft Office Powerpoint

Description:

This is version 1.2 of my résumé printed on a water bottle. It looks unusual at first, but it has a number of advantages over a traditional paper résumé, as well as a number of disadvantages that traditional ones do not have.

One of the biggest things is its hit-or-miss nature. During testing with version 1.1 at a career fair, I attempted to give the bottle to two companies. The first was Nissan automotive company, which I thought would be a good first choice due to my highly mechanical nature. When I offered the bottle to the recruiter, her eyes lit up, and proceeded to say, “Oh my gosh, that is so cool,” then call her co-recruiter away from another interview to look at it. After questions and salutations, I left. Afterwards, I received an email from Nissan, stating how impressed they were by my résumé, and encouraging me to apply for one of their development jobs, but they were all in Bern, Switzerland, and over a summer that I needed to take classes in. I will never know if this was a genuine complement or simply sent to all applicants, but I prefer to think the former. Next up was Exxon Mobil, which was setting expectations high to begin with. The recruiter had a rather startled look on his face, and declined it, so I simply gave him a paper version and asked some questions. Not surprisingly, I did not hear anything back.

Updates to this version include a QR code that leads to my gateway site, updated computer skills, updated GPA, removal of my (soon-to-be outdated) school address, experience on the Human Powered Submarine Team, and a new backdrop featuring photos I took in Costa Rica.

Pros:

• As with many of my other ideas, it is creative, and some recruiters (especially engineering recruiters) respect something different than the normal.
    • Recruiters stand around a desk for hours at a time in a hot room, meaning they are likely to be thirsty.
    • From the last point, think at how often you look at a water bottle you are drinking. Unless the reader is extremely good at chugging, they are going to look at it for more than thirty seconds, which is the big drawback of regular résumés.
    • It is a bit of a longshot, but because the bottle does not fold easily, it generally gets placed on a desk, in full view of competitors, I know that, for a fact, at least one person has been phased by this, and gives me an edge in the eyes of recruiters.
    • If a company looks poorly on creativity, than it can be argued that I do not want a job in that company anyway. This is highly disputed.

Cons:

• The bottle itself is not easy to store, does not lie flat, and is overall rather bulky.
    • It has an inherent shock value. Some traditionalist recruiters may be scared off.
    • It is not as professional as a traditional paper résumé. The importance of this varies by company.

Opportunities for improvement:

The next thing I am going to do for version 2.1 is make the label larger vertically. This will give more space to provide information, and hopefully keep things from being put in 4-6 font size again, which is quite a pain to read. I also need to add my new address when I get my room assignment for summer semester, and again in spring.

Conclusion:

This may be one of the best or the worst ideas I have had, based on which company I interact with. The idea is extremely hit-or-miss, but in the world of job searches, it only takes one hit. The format of the résumé as a water bottle should be used in conjunction with a traditional paper résumé not as a replacement, because trying to jam a comprehensive amount of data onto a water bottle label is difficult, and it is always good to have a backup.