Introductory Blog

Hi everyone! My name is Bre and I use she/her pronouns. I am a vivacious and social individual who is committed to cultivating an experience for college students that illustrates that learning is not only a degree-seeking practice. I am a graduate of Colorado State University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Hospitality Management and a second-year graduate student in Virginia Tech’s Higher Education master’s program. I have served in multiple capacities that have allowed me to provide inclusive communities, foster a culture of learning, offer well-maintained living environments, and provide exceptional customer service. I currently serve as the Assistant Student Life Coordinator in Housing and Residence Life for the Residential College at West Ambler Johnston. I also work for Recreational Sports as the Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion intern. Dedicated to Virginia Tech’s motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), I take a hands-on and engaging approach to education, preparing students to be leaders in their communities. I have pursued this field because I am able to utilize my knowledge of hospitality and my passion for serving people. My interests include living-learning programs, health and wellness, service excellence, and allyship.

Outside of school, I am an athlete at CrossFit460 in Blacksburg. This is my third CrossFit community in the last five years; one in my hometown, my undergraduate city, and here in the ‘burg. My family has all struggled with different health challenges (heart disease, depression, cancer, etc) and initially chose to join a gym together in an attempt to incorporate healthier habits into our daily life. Although we are separated by many states and miles now, we still commit to being apart of this fitness community together.

I chose to enroll in this course as it was highly regarded by previous Higher Ed graduate students. I am eager to see how this class challenges me to see diversity from a more multi-disciplinary perspective. I am often siloed in communities of like-minded people and am excited to see how this work manifests in other fields outside of student affairs.

This entry was posted in Diversity, Inclusion. Bookmark the permalink.