Introductory Blog

Hello everyone, I’m Senam Tamakloe, an MS candidate in the Materials Science and Engineering department here at Virginia Tech. I use she/her/hers pronouns. I am a former GEM Associate Fellow and a 2019 Diversity Scholar. My research work involves synthesizing bulk carbon samples, studying the effects of varying high temperatures and pressurized conditions, and utilizing various characterization techniques to determine the microstructure of the bulk samples. I hold a Bachelor’s of Science in Mechanical Engineering from the University of California, Merced. At my alma mater, my past research experience involved assembling electrochemical energy systems (Li-ion batteries), fabricating an adapter PCB, and designing a protocol for categorizing single-celled algae. I enjoy conducting different engineering-related projects and being a service to others. During my downtime, I enjoy watching movies, baking, and taking walks.

As a closing note, I hope as a result of taking this course, Diversity and Inclusion for Global Society, I can improve on my understanding of diversity, inclusion, and equity beyond the baseline definitions.

This entry was posted in Diversity, Inclusion. Bookmark the permalink.