Intro Post for GRAD5214

Hello! My name is Japsimran Singh. My friends prefer to call me Jap since it is easier to say and also not a tongue twister. I go by he/his/him pronouns. I am a third-year Ph.D. in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. My program area is Structural Engineering and Materials. I work as a graduate research assistant in a large structural engineering testing laboratory here at Virginia Tech. My Ph.D. project is based on the loosening of anchor nuts on highway ancillary structures (traffic signals, luminaires, etc.) (see picture below). In the past few decades, some of these structures have fallen down onto the Interstates during high-speed wind events. The project revolves around finding the different causes of this loosening and suggesting remedial measures to prevent this loosening of nuts. I was also the president of a graduate student organization (Structural Engineering Institute at Virginia Tech) for 2 years.

I am originally from India and came to the U.S. for my masters in 2015.  I love cooking, playing racquet sports, hanging out with friends and family, visiting new places. I love trying out new food items. I am a big FOODIE. I also love playing badminton. My father introduced me to the sport and I have been playing for the last 15 years. One interesting fact about me is that I have changed 8 schools as part of my schooling. My father was in the army and he would get posted every year or so. It definitely made me meet a lot of new people from different backgrounds and cultures back in India. I am taking this course because I hope to understand and learn about the issues of diversity and inclusion. Everybody is biased in some way and I am excited to know my biases and work on them. I hope to learn from other people in the class and grow as a human being.

This entry was posted in Diversity, Inclusion. Bookmark the permalink.