“You’re Distracted. This Professor Can Help.”

Just got done reading this great post about how to deal with distractions. The post mostly revolves around one professor’s course that deals with handling the multiple online distractions we have. Interestingly, as if to prove the discussion point here, while I was reading this post and then trying to link up to my blog to post about it, I went through a bunch of different emails, and jumped around between the five different tabs I have open on my browser. <sigh>

Most of us have heard by now the argument that the internet (and other related things such as smart phones, iPads, etc) can destroy our concentration. (If you are unfamiliar with this conversation, check out Nicholas Carr’s article “Is Google Making Us Stupid?“) Interestingly, I hadn’t heard the argument on the other side of this debate until reading this article. Regardless, though, this professor (David M. Levy of University of Washington) is implementing techniques with his class – such as meditation and concentrated bursts of activity – to aid concentration. ”So many of those debates fail to even acknowledge or realize that we can educate ourselves, even in the digital era, to be more attentive,” he says. “What’s crucial is education.”

If you’re feeling distracted and/or fragmented by all of these technological interventions, I highly recommend reading this article. Whichever side of the debate you fall on, Dr. Levy provides some really helpful tips for improving concentration – whether or not it has been destroyed by Google.