Family-ism

The text from my daughter was; “Why does Dad call it the idiot light?” I knew exactly what she meant, it was a reference to the light on the car dashboard that indicates that the gas tank is almost empty.

Our daughter moved to Ohio last year after graduating from college, to take a job. Her colleague and friend was confused and perplexed by the idiot light comment, thereby prompting the text. While my daughter and I have fun comparing the linguistic and regional differences between southwest Virginia and Northeast Ohio, this was a family-ism. She used this term without thinking much about it, and assumed that it was widely known. However, I suppose it says more about my husband’s view of this particular technology and its relationship with the user than any cultural distinction.

I wonder if anyone else uses this term? And I wonder what interesting terms others might use for computer related objects or actions?

11 thoughts on “Family-ism

1. So interesting! My family has used the term “idiot lights” or “idiot light” to refer to the full suite of dashboard notification lights, or any one in particular that may be active at the time. Most often, of the low-gas or “check engine soon” variety.

A couple family-isms from my childhood, and then more recent days: “buck-chucker” or “money wall” (ATM); up until only the last year or so my youngest kids referred to our iPhones and the iPod-touch as “little iPads”.

2. Neat blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
    A theme like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog jump out.
    Please let me know where you got your design. With
    thanks

3. The best dentists in Mississauga are also able to offer sedation dentistry for children aged two years and above.
    Therefore iif you happen tto stay in Glasgow and think that a teeeth
    correction and beautification wortk can work wlnders for
    your overaol appeal, it is always recommended to find a suitable dental clinic in your
    suburbs to get your job done. When yyou are
    missing a tooth or say few of your teeth, you
    will find that regular activities like eating, speaking
    or smiling all of a suudden becomes difficult.