postheadericon Another mission statement comparison

It seems my previous post, mission statements from nonprofit organizations, was not the proper focus of this assignment. I did not realize/pay attention to the limitation of mission statements to higher education entities. So here I am, making up for it.

I attended multiple colleges and universities during my nontraditional track to “the now,” including Cape Fear Community College, and the University of North Carolina – Wilmington.

Both are North Carolina schools, both located in Wilmington, and degrees from both are hanging on my wall.

Cape Fear’s mission statement:

Cape Fear Community College is an open door, multi-campus, comprehensive community college that strengthens the academic, economic, social and cultural life of the citizens of New Hanover and Pender counties.

As a member of the North Carolina Community College System, Cape Fear Community College fully supports the system mission and fulfills its purposes by:

• Focusing on vocational, technical, pre-baccalaureate, literacy education, and continuing education programs and services;
  • Recruiting, enrolling, advising and retaining a diverse student body;
  • Recruiting, retaining and developing a highly qualified and diverse faculty and staff who are dedicated to quality education and service to the College and the community;
  • Evaluating existing programs and implementing new curricula and instructional strategies to serve the changing needs of the service area;
  • Providing support services that help students succeed;
  • Enhancing student life through clubs, cultural activities, leadership opportunities, and athletics; and
  • Interacting and cooperating with others to encourage, promote and facilitate economic and community development.

Approved by the CFCC Board of Trustees, March 23, 1995; revised January 18, 1996; revised November 19, 2003; reaffirmed January 26, 2006; reaffirmed September 2010.

The University of North Carolina Wilmington, the state’s coastal university, is dedicated to learning through the integration of teaching and mentoring with research and service. Our powerful academic experience stimulates creative inquiry, critical thinking, thoughtful expression and responsible citizenship in an array of high-quality programs at the baccalaureate and master’s levels, and in our doctoral programs in marine biology and educational leadership. Substantial research activity, combined with our hallmark teaching excellence and moderate size, advances distinctive student involvement in faculty scholarship. We are committed to diversity and inclusion, affordable access, global perspectives, and enriching the quality of life through scholarly community engagement in such areas as health, education, the economy, the environment, marine and coastal issues, and the arts.

Both are focused on the student, and both point out the most prominent academic departments. For UNCW, marine biology and coastal marine research is its bread and butter.

Both mention diversity and inclusion, both mention a commitment to excellence and citizenship. Both list a slew of characteristics they claim a commitment to, including community engagement.

Interestingly, the community college mentions its athletics, but the NCAA Division 1 school does not.

In my personal opinion, the UNCW statement, in paragraph form, is more effective, appealing, cohesive.

The bullet points, while easy to read (and maybe that’s the point, they do a lot of literacy work and trade training), looks and feels cheaper. I know this is a brief analysis, but having completed an analysis on nonprofits as well, this is all I’ve got.

One Response to “Another mission statement comparison”

• Heather:

One thing that I find interesting about this comparison is the community college mission statement is very practical and straight-forward while there appears to be more ‘buzz words’ and academic language in the statement from the larger university. The community college also directly references the student in many of its bullet points emphasizing the focus on providing education to individuals. Rather than vague statements such as ‘enriching the quality of life through scholarly community engagement’, the community college is much more practical with statements such as ‘Providing support services that help students succeed.’ I also find it really interesting that the community college mentions evolving and updating curriculum which you don’t see in the university example.