Networked Learning

After reading Gardner Campbell’s Networked Learning As Experiential Learning, based on George Kuh’s work, I find myself having more questions. Kuh states that experiential learning includes mostly co-curricular activities such as: research, internships, service, and study abroad. However Campbell challenges Kuh for not including networked learning within experiential learning. With the digital age of education, Campbell asks, “Why not offer students an experience of the sense of exhilarating possibility within the cyberspace they take for granted, the cyberspace that LMSs and apps have begun to remove from our view?”

Campbell believes that the current generation of students does not have a vast knowledge of the internet and social media. Additionally, networked learning should provide learning beyond a traditional education. I see benefits to distance-learners by providing courses online and peer-to-peer learning through blogs and e-portfolios. However, I do not believe that the internet should be the only way to create experiential learning. Campbell seems unclear about how exactly to promote experiential learning and does not give concrete examples. Maybe Campbell’s beliefs are meant to be open to more interpretation. The author also seems concerned only with students in higher education. What about people who are not currently enrolled in a institution of higher education? It does not seem that Campbell has considered people who do not have access to education in a traditional classroom. There should also be consideration for continued learners.

This entry was posted in Grad5114. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Networked Learning

1. Matthew Cheatham says:

Heather,

I like how you included Campbell’s beliefs on our current generation in relation to the utilization of the internet and social media. You are right that there are benefits, but is the way we currently use the internet and social media, the best way to create experimental learning? I also like how you are trying to think about everyone and being inclusive about those who may not have been referenced by Campbell as this information could be important to think about in relation to those students not included.

2. Jyotsana says:

You bring up some good points Heather. Learning is a privilege and learning through networked learning is another one. I think that Campbell could have provided some concrete examples, however, I also think that sometimes examples limit our own imaginations. There are ways to incorporate networked learning on a small scale (discussion on this blog for example) or in a big way (creating a game based app for a course)…I think depending on the resources available to educators these things can be flexible and open to modification. Maybe some of your questions will be answered this semester as we move through the class.

3. Allie Briggs says:

I think you make a good point about including networked learning within experiential learning. With technology rapidly advancing, it seems that offering “students an experience of the sense of exhilarating possibility within the cyberspace” is really now more of a necessity just to function in the world today.