Week 10 (Digital Pedagogy)

This week’s reading discussed digital pedagogy and the future of education that includes the digital world.  One of the most interesting aspects to me about the digital classroom is the accessibility aspect. The accessibility allows for students of different age groups and income groups to have access to a higher education. However, is this good for the future of education? Does the education and actual pedagogy suffer when classes and full degrees are moved to only digital platforms? Digital pedagogy is a process that is always changing. As the readings state not all teachers are adept in pedagogy and therefore are not adept in digital pedagogy. Being a newer concept, it is hard to master or even understand the fullness of digital pedagogy. It is a concept that teachers must learn as they go and see what works best for them, the teachers, and what works best for the students.

In my own experience, as a public speaking teacher, I have switched to online teaching due to the Covid-19 pandemic and have noticed several differences, even though the class is still structurally similar. I feel that it is more difficult to ‘connect’ with my students. It has taken me a semester and a half to figure out how to start connecting as I felt like I did in in-person classes. I mention this because of my earlier comments of how learning digital pedagogy is trial and error. I have used many different strategies to increase classroom engagement for a synchronous digital platform. I do not believe I have mastered it at all, but I do think that I am improving and I think that is what some of this week’s readings are describing, the trial and error aspect of a new king of pedagogy.

The last thing I would like to discuss are a couple of cons that digital learning brings and the ways that digital pedagogy can be utilized to improve these cons. For example, I feel that it is difficult to create a safe environment for all students in a digital class and I feel that adapting your teaching style with this in mind would be and is beneficial. From experience, I think that putting yourself out there and understanding that students will follow your lead is a strategy that can be used to try to turn this con into a pro for your individual class. It is obvious that digital learning is here to stay and for right now is almost the norm. Knowing this, teachers need to understand the positives and negatives of this relatively new teaching platform and incorporate a different kind of pedagogy.

One Reply to “Week 10 (Digital Pedagogy)”

1. Hi Chris,

Thanks for your blog post! As a fellow public speaking GTA, I too agree that the virtual class format has made it difficult to connect with students. We are not able to develop the close relationships we cherish and love to see grow over the course of the semester. I would argue that online PS is actually easier. As you know, students have to worry about less. Instead of making eye contact with the whole room in person, they only have to look at the webcam. Instead of occasionally having to project over the construction noise in a classroom at Randolph, they are probably fine as long as they present in a quiet room.

However, I do not necessarily think it is a bad thing. It is likely that even when covid ends many companies will stay online. Interviews, meetings, conferences, etc. will all be conducted virtually. It is critical that students work on these skills to be successful in an online format, and digital pedagogy can help with that.

That does not mean there are not drawbacks. Especially in the context of paying a bunch of money to be here, is it really worth it to take online classes when you will not be getting the experience of being in person? I would be reluctant if I was going to an out of state or private school. There are opportunities for more distractions in the classroom in an online setting. Ultimately we are going to have to accept that this format is here to stay and how we can deal with potential setbacks will determine our success in a post-covid world with digital pedagogy.