The Value of Experiential Learning

It is interesting to see how the interpretation of education and learning can vary just like so many other functional areas. As research continues, and technology advances the specificity’s  and nuances to education are likely to continue. Evolving to meet the needs of yesterday seems to be a common denominator within many functional areas. It will be interesting to see how the  value of networked learning and its associated scale will be perceived a decade or two from now.  I am particularly interested how the experiential learning concept within the digitally mediated context will be able to successfully enable learners to navigate information vs. knowledge.

4 Replies to “The Value of Experiential Learning”

1. I wonder, in this particular case, how you are differentiating information and knowledge? I’m trying to “read between the lines” a little bit here, but even then I can’t tell if you can a current opinion other than to wait and see what happens. I would argue it’s easier to look back to see how things went than it is to look forward to predict how things will go (at least with any degree of certainty), but since we live in the present we need to do both sometimes. Do you think networked learning is something that will benefit individuals and society, or do you think it’s just a “flash in the pan” that we’ll look back on as pretty insignificant in the future?

1. Hey Glupton,

Thank you for your comment. I intentionally left the difference between information and knowledge up to interpretation. However, to very loosely differentiate: information could be received in any form and can range from gossip and mis-information to data and facts. Here there has not been any synthesis or application to ones personal experiences which can bring about thought or provoke thought. Knowledge is essentially the inverse of what I described information to be. These definitions are definitely at the “30,000 ft” level and intended to be. I would absolutely agree that hindsight is 20-20 and would take that “knowledge” any day over predicting the future. I am not saying to avoid planning for the future, but merely suggesting that we “as a society” should be careful in course corrections to areas that are not broken. I think that networked learning is here to stay (in broad terms) however, the exact format it will take may not be what what is expected today.

2. You brought up an interesting question: how the experiential learning concept within the digitally mediated context will be able to successfully enable learners to navigate information vs. knowledge?
    I think in near future we will witness the engagement of virtual reality in education very strongly. I can easily imagine how students experience practical aspects of their courses through an augmented reality journey by just sitting down in front of their PCs!

— Negin Forouzesh

3. Hey neginf,

Thanks. I can certainly see how virtual reality could serve as a very viable solution. It will be interesting to see how that evolves.