Friday Morning Thoughts

I found myself wondering what everyone’s habits were when it came to writing code. Personally I need my music playing , and generally need to be away from my apartment to stave off distractions. After about ten or twenty minutes, I find myself “in the zone” so to speak, where nothing distracts me and I can get major progress done.

What are some of your habits or tips when it comes to coding? And also if you listen to music, what type? I often wonder if i’m the only person who listens to metal on campus. (Dark Tranquillity’s new song “The Science of Noise” is what I’m listening to right now) However I do like almost everything, with the notable exception of country and most rap.

Also, everyone has probably bought a Cerebot board by now, and is either currently using it or it’s sitting on a shelf collecting dust. If yours isn’t collecting dust yet, It will be after micro. I dislike that, I’ve been trying to think of the best use for it. I would love to make some kind of RC car with it, but then i’d toy around with it for a month and it would go back to collecting dust.

Currently my best idea is to get the bluetooth and RF PMODs and write some code that will let me connect to my Cerebot from my smartphone, and then emulate the TV remote. I’m not entirely sure that the RF PMOD covers the same spectrum as a universal remote, but I’d do some research before buying parts. I’ve written android apps before, and know how I’d code this project.

How are you using your Cerebot? Or what Ideas do you have on a better use for it? I plan on doing something with it over this summer, but want to make the most of it.

To continue with my random train of thought, I guess I’ll bring up the newest release of Ubuntu. ‘Raring Ringtail’ (13.04) is now stable and released. I’ve read reviews on it that seem unimpressed, but that’s because they haven’t delivered on certain featured that were scheduled to appear. However, things like the “smart scopes” that were supposed to be arriving would have contributed to bloat in my opinion. I’d much rather them work on minimizing the memory footprint and increasing performance.  The biggest thing they’ve done in 13.04 is optimizing the graphics and making other incremental steps towards a unified mobile/desktop release.

As soon as finals are done, I’ll be backing up everything important from Ubuntu and Windows on my laptop and wiping it. Then I’m putting either Windows 7 or 8 on it, as well as Ubuntu 13.04. Although as I type this, I’m wondering about other distributions. I very well may try out Linux Mint or Debian, only time will tell.

1 thought on “Friday Morning Thoughts

1. You’ve made some interesting comments and I too always wonder how others code. I am not a big fan of listening to music while I code or do any work for that matter. I find that I am either completely tuning the music out so that there is no point of having it on, or im singing along and not coding. (If I did listen to music while coding it would most likely be country though) I like working in my room, there isnt much to distract me as long as I am conscious of what im doing. Plus sometimes I find myself talking to myself while I code to help organize my thoughts, im not sure if thats weird or not.

You raised a good point about my cerebot, I am currently in micro amd hadnt really thought about what to do with it after the class. Itd be nice to see some money for it but now that you mention it I think I’d much rather turn it into a project that I would use in the future. Finding the projecf could be a challange though