This isn’t the blog you’re looking for

To be clear, I’m not a blogger.  It’s not that I don’t want to be.  I guess I just never felt compelled to become one.  I’ve certainly lurked on occasion, realizing immediately that without the proper audience, there could be a whole lot of work with little outside support.  I suppose I felt there was a certain vulnerability by opening myself up publicly.  I don’t even care much to share my peer review my writings with my cohort whom I feel a particular academic bond with.  And it’s not that I don’t realize the importance of the writing process to have feedback and constructive criticism.  I do.  I guess I anticipate there will be more criticism than constructiveness.

After reading some of the posts from my fellow GEDI masters, I realized I’ve missed the point.  It’s not to present a finely polished final product that everyone can marvel at.  It’s to grow the audience.  Peer review is just a microcosm of what an academic blog can be.  The more we can grow as an audience, the more it benefits us all.  As Tim Hitchcock tells us, “we can do what we have always done, but do it better; as a public performance, in dialogue amongst ourselves, and with a wider public.”  Doug Belshaw extends the metaphorical importance of a blog further by likening it to a microphone, giving us the ability to reach more and more people.

So if getting out of my comfort zone is a way that can help not only my writing process but the academic community that I want to belong to as well, then so be it.  I suppose it’s time to give blogging a chance.  Just be patient with me since this is a learning process for me and I’m just learnding.

3 Replies to “This isn’t the blog you’re looking for”

1. We have patience! Especially since you have Star Wars and The Simpsons.
    A blog can definitely cultivate an audience, and I agree that the point is not to present perfect, polished work all the time, right out of the gate. In fact I think you’ll find that your blog is a great place to work on ideas and polish work. It’s more informal than a paper, you can revise and tweak as much as you like, and you get some decent feedback from people who value your perspective.

2. Yay! Welcome to the journey Jason. I am sure you will enjoy this experience. I agree with all you said…was much of my thinking when I started blogging. We are excited to be a part of this journey with you.

3. Thinking aloud in a blog with potential audiences really makes a difference. I have a private blog besides the one for this class. It does not sound that magic because what takes effect is not as simple as we can imagine. It may be difficult to detect much progress at the beginning, but once we get started and continue with it for a while, things will gradually get clearer and then benefits will be visible. It is a long-term investment that totally worth a try.