Sherburne – Blog Post #1

I am currently well ahead in my research paper with the field work in Sri Lanka a great success. I have already made a special report to look at the varying pollution levels around Kandy Lake for the urban planning aspect of my project. I plan to then look at the buildings and sources of pollution that are affecting the lake. I also am looking at a few other major areas of concern in Kandy to solve. There is a large open landfill polluting the water in the Mahaweli River. I will be looking into the effects of this landfill on the local water supplies. Also, there are local government issues as well. I am looking at creating a sustainable water purifier for a women’s development center, with just the idea of what to build in the paper. Actual building of the device will be done outside the project. I found all the information I needed and will be supplemented further by scientists and professors in Kandy and will patch them all together to get a holistic model of how to solve water issues in the area. I will then plan to create a methodology in solving water issues using the case study in Kandy for widespread implications.

I have found markers with the simple water tests I have done alongside with interviews with locals. I have also detected varying accounts from different locals, and even from the same person about water issues, but have been told that the people all know about the water problems. I am not able to say what I have found here or post pictures of the test areas until publishing but noticed that there is a far more complex problem going on than just water that is affecting the water quality. The holistic approach may bring me towards linking areas that may not have been thought of as a factor in the access to clean water, but are necessary to make meaningful changes. I plan to just touch about these other factors in my paper as to not go too far out of scope, but suggest looking at how for instance the health industry could be tied to water quality.

Again, most of what I need to do is just piece together all of the data and make an assessment. The local scientists and professors who have been doing research for decades already have the problems uncovered and the solutions, but do not have the voice to make changes, which I am trying to look at and using the holistic approach in uncovering those barriers they are facing. This can then be used in the methodology for other regions.