Introductory Blog

Hi everyone! My name is Bre and I use she/her pronouns. I am a vivacious and social individual who is committed to cultivating an experience for college students that illustrates that learning is not only a degree-seeking practice. I am a graduate of Colorado State University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Hospitality Management and a second-year graduate student in Virginia Tech’s Higher Education master’s program. I have served in multiple capacities that have allowed me to provide inclusive communities, foster a culture of learning, offer well-maintained living environments, and provide exceptional customer service. I currently serve as the Assistant Student Life Coordinator in Housing and Residence Life for the Residential College at West Ambler Johnston. I also work for Recreational Sports as the Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion intern. Dedicated to Virginia Tech’s motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), I take a hands-on and engaging approach to education, preparing students to be leaders in their communities. I have pursued this field because I am able to utilize my knowledge of hospitality and my passion for serving people. My interests include living-learning programs, health and wellness, service excellence, and allyship.

Outside of school, I am an athlete at CrossFit460 in Blacksburg. This is my third CrossFit community in the last five years; one in my hometown, my undergraduate city, and here in the ‘burg. My family has all struggled with different health challenges (heart disease, depression, cancer, etc) and initially chose to join a gym together in an attempt to incorporate healthier habits into our daily life. Although we are separated by many states and miles now, we still commit to being apart of this fitness community together.

I chose to enroll in this course as it was highly regarded by previous Higher Ed graduate students. I am eager to see how this class challenges me to see diversity from a more multi-disciplinary perspective. I am often siloed in communities of like-minded people and am excited to see how this work manifests in other fields outside of student affairs.

5 Replies to “Introductory Blog”

1. I cannot tell you how refreshing it is to read posts like yours. I wish we had more faculty and staff like you on campus. I enjoyed the information about how you and your family are connected through exercise. My family is very similar in that aspect. I took my father being diagnosed with stage 4 kidney disease before we all jumped in. We started as a family just to support my father, but it has now turned into a way of life and a way for us to connect. Currently 3 of my family members have completed triathlons and my youngest brother has completed an Iron Man. I really enjoyed learning more about you!

2. Great inspiring post, Bre. I really appreciate that you are trying hard to stay healthy and fit. I try and keep myself involved in racquet sports a few times in a week to keep the body in shape. Hopefully, staying healthy becomes a culture in the coming time especially in colleges where academics are the primary focus.

3. Glad to have you in the class! CSU was a close second for me for my Ph.D., I think those mountains are a bit more impressive than the ones we have here. I can really resonate with: ” am often siloed in communities of like-minded people and am excited to see how this work manifests in other fields.”. I feel like it is so natural to gravitate towards people you share common interests with so I am excited to see how this couse helps bring to light some new perspectives!

4. Your passion as an educator definitely shows in everything you are doing and it’s amazing how involved you are. The fact that you are choosing to challenge yourself and step outside your norm in order to learn is in itself inspiring. I am curious to know what made you switch from hospitality to higher ed.

5. Hi Bre, I toured CSU and loved the campus and area! It seems like such an amazing school. I am curious as to where you call home? Being from the western part of the USA, I am always curious to know where other students call home.
    I am also interested as to how the dynamic of CSU compares to Virginia Tech? Do you notice any huge changes in terms of diversity or inclusion? If I remember correctly, CSU didn’t seem to be as diverse as VT is? I wonder if that plays a role in anything as far as inclusion and equity are concerned?