Open Access Blog Post

As a communication graduate student, I chose to look at the International Journalism of Communication. The goal of the journal is to provide a reputable platform for communication work all over the globe. It was created in 2007 and its editor-in-chief Larry Gross is located at the USC (Southern California) Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism.

According to its website, IJAC does not charge for either processing or submission of articles. They hope by establishing a credible journal they will start a movement to create more open-access journals in particular for sub-fields in communication. I believe this statement is great news for liberal arts fields such as communication that might have a stigma of not having relevant research compared to STEM fields.

We have to have opportunities such as IJAC that can provide communication scholars with a forum to publish their work. Also, we have to continue to make research available to the public. Especially if it is something that could benefit them, why would we not make it public to show to them. Open access should be the route moving forward in the higher education and research fields.

9 Replies to “Open Access Blog Post”

1. thank you for sharing about this journal, Also I want to point out about the stigma you have mention of certain field of not having enough or as much publication compared to STEM field, as I am in the architectural field we have the same in terms of that, but in my opinion, the field that focuses on arts or human interaction such as yours, it is a harder field, and the harder the methodologies of bringing up a solid research article is considered a huge achievement as it focuses on the philosophy and theories generators. so the more of OA the better for these fields.

2. I completely understand what you mean about the stigma associated with non-STEM research quality. Even my colleagues are guilty of this to some extent. I agree that by making research more readily available and to a broader audience, quality research can be broadcast. I do however find it interesting that this journal doesn’t charge for printing or submission of articles. I understand the reasoning behind this (to encourage submission and sharing of knowledge) but I also wonder how the journal can function and incur the costs associated with publishing/printing without charging for their services. Very interesting. Thank you for your thoughts.

3. I completely agree. I think all fields should have a platform where they have journals and other literature freely accessible. I think open access is a positive movement going forward but, it should not just be applied for the STEM fields. All the different fields should have a platform like this. I agree that STEM fields may have more research and journals already published and it may be easier to go open access in such fields however, this doesn’t mean to say that we shouldn’t start trying to do the same with all other fields.

4. It is a good idea for all research fields that are accessible to everyone. Also, I totally agree that STEM fields have many open access publications than other fields and I benefit from it. It is also necessary for other fields to form an open-access database for everyone to use. However, due to the copyright laws and benefits of big companies, it is kind of hard at the present. I think it will be much easier for graduate students to share ideas and research firstly within the department and bring this habit after graduation.

5. I think the point you brought up about making your research accessible to the public is really important. In your field, I’m not sure from where a lot of your grant money comes, but in fields where grant money comes from the government or government agencies, publishing research in places where the public can access it is really important. If we pay taxes, we’re helping to pay for the research so we should really make what we do accessible to everyone. Additionally, as you mentioned, if our research can benefit everyone, then I think we have an obligation to publish it where people can access it. Thank you, Billy!

6. When I think of fields that publish journal articles, my mind automatically thinks of the STEM fields. It may seem silly, but the field of communication is not one I would think of that has journals to publish to! But I think that it is great this open access journal is trying to create a credible platform for people in the communication field to publish their research for everyone to see. I am curious, is this journal peer reviewed? I assume so, but did not see any mention of this.

7. Thank you for the post. Being a researcher closely related to the communication field, it was great to find out about this journal. I agree with you in that open access should be the future of research and higher ed, especially for fields such as business and communication, because unlike STEM, the relevance of studies in these fields are determined by the audience. Therefore I think it is even more important for us to reach a wide audience.

8. It’s great to hear people are willing to go out on a limb to bring about change! I do wonder how they’re able to afford supporting the journal, since there are expenses there. But perhaps they’ve come up with a funding strategy that other fields could try using too.

9. Your blog post poses an interesting question for thinking about the relationship between open-access and your field, communication. 2007 seems like one of the earlier years to establish an open access journal. If, as you note, a key aim should be to “make research available to the public”, then it begs the question: why not? I think we had the answer in the open-access panel discussion: money. Bottom line journal aggregators, such as Elsevier, have hoovered up journals to package and sell to libraries at exorbitant prices. I agree with you that the knowledge we produce should be freely available, and it is reprehensible that such organizations profit off of the often-public supported knowledge created, reviewed, and processed for production explicitly by NOT making them available to the public. How long can this system last? How will subsequent generations of scholars or publics look back on such a system? Will our current crisis of COVID-19 precipitate changes? Let’s hope so.