Week 4: Ethics in Teaching

This weeks reading reminded me of the reasons I wanted to teach. I had a handful of teachers who have helped me over the years and did so ethically. I had an IR professor who was very vocally in one theories camp. He never said that I needed to see the world the way that he did, but he was honest about his own views. I was very early in my education and didn’t know much about the field, I questioned him about his theoretical camp and brought up one of the major flaws in it. He thought about it for a minute and then looked me in the eye and said, yes that was true.

It doesn’t seem like a big deal, but he could have very easily lied or exaggerated or told me a half-truth; because I was so ignorant I wouldn’t have known the difference. He took the high road and it made all the difference in the world to me. He allowed me to come to my own conclusions.

Not all of my professors have been ethical or competent, but the good ones have made all the time and money I’ve spent on education worth it.