VMware/VirtualBox

So we have to run Ubuntu. I tried to dual boot, but for some reason the bootloader is freezing somewhere along the line, both with a live cd and with a live usb. My computer’s boot time is too slow to bother, anyway. I’m going to run a virtual environment.

I’ve used VMware before to emulate ubuntu before, so I before looking at alternatives I just went ahead and booted up my old environment. I thought it was tedious to load up VMware and then boot into it by loading the .iso, so I looked for a more elegant solution. The current most popular solution, which I did not know existed when I looked last, was a piece of software known as VirtualBox, a virtual environment preloaded with all current, most popular freeware operating systems. Choosing Ubuntu from a drop-down list took all of 10 seconds, and within 2 minutes I was up and running. I dedicated about 8 gigabytes to this environment, and it saved everything I as it was when I booted up and shut down, just like  a real system. Not only that, but I could seamlessly switch between Ubuntu for class and windows for everything else whenever I wanted to. I couldn’t do that if I was dualbooting. I was actually pretty surprised with how refined virtualbox was, as if there was a whole community of people that only kinda wanted to use Ubuntu but still didnt want to dualboot. In any case, it really was a great tool to use.