Networked Learning = Change

When reading about Networked Learning, the first word that comes to mind is change. It is changing the way in which we share information and interact with colleagues and the public from different corners of the world. It creates an opportunity for dialogue that is missing from conferences and forums.

Incorporating blogging into school programs may change the way that students perceive the learning process. In his talk, Dr. Wesch discusses students who were basically shuffling their way through school. Only seeking information to complete an assignment and to check another class off of their plan of study. To be honest, I feel like that sometimes. I just want to be done and move on with my life.  Around me, there is so much talk about what we should be doing to secure a faculty position. Everything is about how to earn the most or publish the most — not about how to make the most impact. There are also politics and unwritten rules.

Taking classes outside of my department has introduced me to networked learning and has provided a new way for me to be actively involved in my education.  I’m not fully immersed in the concept though — I pretty much only blog when required for a class. That may change at some point because I have kind of enjoyed blogging. I’ve also opened up to tweeting.

As a TA, and maybe a future professor, I have been pondering ways to incorporate networked learning into my classes.

Networked learning also puts me in the mind of the Open movement. Open Access, Open Data, and Open Educational Resources. Scholars can share their Open information through blogging and tweeting. All of these concepts celebrate connection and openness.

4 Replies to “Networked Learning = Change”

1. Brittany, I totally get what you are saying about the securing your future, publishing, politics, and the rest of the chaos that comes along with the higher education setting. Sometimes it does get out of hand and feels overwhelming. Sometimes what helps me to going back to thinking about why I came into academia…that helps on good days and then some days that too falls short. However, I will say that learning and passion for learning if facilitated well can open up a whole new world. I saw you write about openess in academia and slowly things are changing. Maybe the next generation of educators (us) can bring about a complete change…maybe?!

2. I’m glad you brought up the age-old problem of “publish or perish.” I do believe that scholars and critical thinkers are making waves through blogging. One of my favorite theorists is Jodi Dean, and she is well known in the blogosphere. The problem is I’m not sure how seriously blogs are considered as a contribution to critical thought for future professors (even if the blog is a book-in-progress). Also, for young scholars negotiating sleep deprivation/study/teaching, it is sometimes hard to fit in one more thing.

3. I have the same reason as Brittany to take courses out of department. I also hope to actively involve in the networked learning with classmates from different study fields. I agree that the open data platform is so powerful today where we can retrieve data and generate different perspectives and contribute our data as well.