Spelman College Changes Admission Policy to Admit Transgender Women in 2018

Spelman to admit transgender students – The Root

Beginning in Fall 2018, Spelman College will admit transgender women. Spelman is a four-year, historically Black, liberal arts women’s college located in Atlanta, Georgia.

In a letter from September 5, 2017, Spelman’s president Mary S. Campbell stated the following, “Like same-sex colleges all over the country, Spelman is taking into account evolving definitions of gender identity in a changing world and taking steps to ensure that our policies and plans reflect those changes in a manner that is consistent with our mission and the law.”

Reactions to the college’s decision has been overwhelmingly positive. The only other historically Black, women’s college–Bennett College in Greensboro, NC has also changed their policy to admit transgender women.

3 Replies to “Spelman College Changes Admission Policy to Admit Transgender Women in 2018”

1. I was just in Atlanta and heard a lot about this college at a museum! It’s really cool to hear that, though it does make me wonder why this wasn’t already the case. I guess since it’s a women’s-only college… but I would still think that identifying as a woman should qualify as being a woman. Awesome, though. 🙂

2. I wonder what the conversation up the road at Hollins will involve, now that Spelman has changed their policies. Hollins has struggled with their own gendered policies, and it may be interesting to follow potential changes in our region soon.