Technology and Innovation in Higher Education

In my post I present the infographic (which is pretty much self-explanatory) with top 6 digital transformation trends in education for 2018:

1. Personalized learning
2. Student-led learning
3. Gamification
4. Utilization of Cloud-Based Technology
5. Learning Data and Analytics
6. 1-to-1 Ratio Classrooms

In my opinion, these trends have a significant impact on higher education.

Blended learning personalizes lessons, allowing students to focus on discovery and to make their own decisions about direction and pace. The combination of technology and face-to-face interactions provides students with more ownership.

Adaptive learning allows students more freedom in designing their own educational paths.  Eggective adaptive learning tools can increase classroom skills and support student achievement.

It is not surprising that teachers often grow more comfortable with a topic after teaching others about it. Student-led learning was used by teachers in their classrooms for years. Nowadays student-led learning is mostly used with such modern tools as wireless presentation systems and mirroring devices.

Gamification in the classroom is the very useful tool which might be used in higher education too.  Gamification can motivate learners through  rewards  by providing opportunities to earn badges, level up, and fail in order to restart and try again. It also can encourage collaboration through team play.

Cloud-based technology is a great tool allowing students to avoid problems with lost files, missing resources, or lack of access.

By learning data from students, analytical technology can improve knowledge retention and learner engagement.

One-to-one (one computer per student) is also a necessary condition for effectiveness of higher education.

Source: www.screenbeam.com

5 Replies to “Technology and Innovation in Higher Education”

1. I really enjoyed reviewing this infographic! Even though this is two years old, I definitely see these “trends” in today’s virtual classrooms. As a grad student, I am enrolled in a class that has a shared google folder (similar to the point about the cloud). This is not only a way of making classroom materials accessible to everyone, but my peers and I also contribute to the folder. I think this is also convenient because both the professor and students can continue to access the drive even when the class ends — since we have all contributed and created this master folder of resources. One thing this infographic doesn’t discuss is the reliance on the internet in order for this to work. I think about cloud space and online traffic as a possible limitation in this method being effective.

2. Hi Azat,
    Thanks for bringing this infographic to my attention. Even though it is a couple of years old, I think it is very much still relevant to the trends we are seeing today. All of the trends listed here are truly changing the way we do education in the 21st century. For me, I think that the personalized learning is probably the most effective one of these trends because not everyone learns in the same ways. Both blended and adaptive learning allow the professor to meet students where they are at and bring them the content in a way that best suits their needs as learners. I also think that student-led learning is super useful because it requires the students to be more engaged in their own learning experiences. Gamification of learning provides incentives, even if not real life incentives, to students to continue their learning and to do better than they were before. Sometimes students need to be incentivized in order to move forward in their learning journeys. Thanks for your post.
    Lara

3. The infographic you shared above is very informative and gives a new dimension to digital learning. Blended Learning seems like a great choice to implement since students have the freedom to choose how much of technology or interaction they prefer, making it student centric and highly adaptive. I also like how you compared student-led learning in the past and preset era, showing us how presentation is a great tool to promote student-led learning.

Great Post!

Keep up the great work.

4. Interesting post.
    I am wondering what your take on gamification is. I understand that creating this game for badges could be a good incentive. But, I also feel like it can be a frustration for people who don’t like competitive settings and would prefer moving at their own pace. A scheme like this could alienate those. Any thoughts?

5. Hi guys,
    Thank you very much for your comments.
    Mohannad,
    I actually don’t know. I wrote that “gamification can motivate…” So, the key word here is “can”, not “will” – I’m not sure.