Hi Mom! Hi Cat!

Hey everyone,

So I hope you all had a nice introduction to the Contemporary Pedagogy course. These sorts of things such as blogging and social media can seem and are often daunting at first. This is why we have a larger group that, over the semester, will work together to create an interesting and positive atmosphere to engage and explore blogging and other co-learning strategies.

I am not trying to summarize the readings and videos. That would take the fun out of finding out for yourselves.

I do however have my introduction to these sorts of online communities which might serve as a better starting point for those of you who are not sure, or nervous about, becoming a part of the world wide web.

The first class I started blogging for was this very class. I had not blogged consistently before. There were some posts here and there for other initiative the University was running, but without any real substance or direction.

Aside from the three points that Doug Belshaw mentions, it turns out if you do not have a personal theme to the blogs you write or a question you are trying to answer, the blog can falter or appear disorganized.

Personally, I am interested in how these co-learning strategies could apply to architecture studio without upsetting the unique learning environment that already exists. So during the semester I will always try to tie what I am seeing and reading back to that question.

If we also look at Campbell’s work: narrate, curate, and share, we find that being active in you involvement also is crucial to not necessarily the quantity or work you do, but mainly its quality. Quality or at least applicability to your audience is incredible important.

I could talk all day about my vegetated wall research, but that is not the point of this current work. Its important work, just not now. A plant twitter might seem silly at first, but might be a new way to reach others in a format they would actively engage in.

I remember being intimidated by what could be– the things that go bump in the night — and how this could harm me or my image. However, I later learned that by doing nothing at all I was missing out on the positive “could be” that blogging and active co-learning provided. Like anything else use your head and filter what you say.

Second thing I learned: just be polite. Words without facial expressions are notorious for not conveying their entire meaning. Sarcasm can be missed. Feelings are hurt by misunderstanding and nobody has a good time. Personally I am here to also have fun. As Seth Godin describes, its fine with me if only my mom and my cat only read this blog. And yes, my cat is literate.

Video for those of you who have not seen it yet.

Reflecting on my own transition and blogging, I find the potential for self-publishing fascinating. While the average work may not be of Nobel prize quality, there is the vast potential of linking between works that creates the integrated and function WEB 2.0 concept. I link to you, you link to me, and suddenly a third person sees two works they might have missed otherwise.

So blog, tweet, and comment in an effort to become more comfortable in the vast and changing online world.

K

This entry was posted in gedivt. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Hi Mom! Hi Cat!

1. Sihui Ma says:

Congratulations on your first blogging for this class, and I am looking forward to seeing more thoughts you are going to share with us. Blogging is a great way to exchange minds, While talking face-to-face may be more time efficient. When tying, we are alone and concentrated. We are more aware and cautious about what we are going to publish in the online world. These will lead us to think more deeply and comprehensively. Even with disagreement, the rage will come down only seeing the words instead of the person.