Introductory Blog, Identities and Privilege

Hi!! My name is Alexandria Ida Rossi Alvarez. Yes, it is a mouthful. My gender pronouns are she, her, hers. Below is a picture of myself, my husband, and our little monster.

I am a second-year Ph.D. student in Industrial and Systems Engineering, Cognitive Engineering. My life is a little crazy. My family is from northern Spain, when I was younger I grew up in northern Italy (Bardi), lived in New York (Yonkers), then moved to Florida (Daytona Beach) for college. I attended Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University where I completed my Bachelor’s in Human Factors and Air Traffic Management with minors in Aerospace Life Science and my Masters in Human Factors and Systems. Then I moved to Ohio (Columbus) where I worked for a company called Lextant for 5 years. I worked as a Senior Human-Centered Design Associate. I then decided to quit my job and go back to school, so here I am. I love to dance (any Latin dancing), I make some killer cupcakes,  and I can recite any Bobs Burgers episode by heart.

I have been on my sororities national executive board for the last three years. Even though we are a multicultural organization, we struggle with inclusion. One reason I decided to take this course was to understand how I can help my organization grow, what can I learn about myself, and how can I change for the better. I hope to gain a better understanding of the diverse global society and what I can do better to facilitate a more inclusive environment.

2 Replies to “Introductory Blog, Identities and Privilege”

1. Its so cool that you have had the experience of living in all these places. I have had the chance to live in 3 countries and 7 cities and I believe it had a great impact on my world view and life.

2. Alexandria, I enjoyed reading your introductory blog. It’s interesting how these sequence of events led to your pursuit for a Ph.D. Your motivation for wanting to obtain a Ph.D. and understanding how this may be a vital aid to your larger plan is inspiring. Despite the financial pleasures and flexibility that a full-time engineering position can bring, I understand exploring new areas of knowledge can be much more rewarding. Also, I appreciate your academic and social life balance.