Blog 3 – Case-Based Pedagogy

I believe bringing in real-world problems into a classroom environment is a very important learning tool. Case-based learning is an accessible learning tool that has the potential to reach different types of learners. Case and problem-based learning allow students to develop problem-solving skills, utilize self-directed strategies, group participation skills, and subject matter knowledge. I think this is important because it provides students with the opportunity to learn in a different way. This provides students with the allowance to be creative, to gain self-confidence, and persevere to find a solution.

As adults, we are constantly being evaluated on our problem-solving abilities and evaluating others. Whether it is in interviews, peer-reviews, or team-building exercises the topic of problem-solving comes up at least once. I believe this type of learning is relevant because it prepares students for what they will experience in the future. They will be evaluated on how the collaboration with others, how creative they are in finding an actionable solution, and their project management. So, if there is an opportunity to begin instilling these traits when they are younger, I think it will only enhance those traits in their future.

One Reply to “Blog 3 – Case-Based Pedagogy”

1. I agree! I love the idea of using real-life examples or case studies in classes. I like how you explicitly relate PBL to students’ future work life as adults. Every field has some type of collaborative requirement, so it is imperative for students to learn how to work with one another. I also like how you relate PBL to building students’ self-confidence. We all need to believe we have the skills and knowledge needed to find possible solutions to real-life problems. Practicing the skill of finding realistic solutions in college will help students in their future careers.