For my last blog post I decided to write about something that gives me particular joy, FASHION! Most specifically how to dress both fashionably and professionally. As a woman who is in graduate school and hopes to one day become a professor, I thought this would be not only helpful for me, but for many other women as well.

Recently, I had the pleasure of attending my very first scientific conference, Experimental Biology in San, Diego, CA! I had an amazing experience and all around lots of fun. Let me be clear though, I had no idea what to wear! What does a woman in her mid-twenties wear when attending a scientific conference? Therefore, I turned to my trusty friend Google.com and “Voila!” I found a blog!

Written by a fellow graduate student and postdoc, I had found the holy grail of how to dress for success, comfort, and style. I had found My Laser Boyfriend. In her comprehensive review of How to Dress for a Conference like a Fashionable Lady Scientist I was able to find tips on how to dress professionally for virtually every situation in academics, not just a scientific conference.

If you are a woman in academia I would highly recommend this blog site (link below). And if you are in a hurry, like most graduate students are, here is a quick list of my favorite ten ground rules she outlines for dressing like a fashionable lady scientist:

1. Your clothes should be comfortable, look good, and help you feel confident.
  2. No Exposed Cleavage
  3. When in doubt, err on the side of caution and go more conservative.
  4. It is possible to be dressy and feminine and fashionable and still be conservative and professional.
  5. Jewelry and accessories go a long way.
  6. Quality over quantity.
  7. Know what fits you.
  8. Solid, neutral colors are always in style.
  9. Being “trendy” and “stylish” are different things.
  10. “Feminine” and “sexy” are two different things.

Other great tips include how to pack when traveling, good stores to shop in, and a great list of basic pieces that are great to own as a professional lady scientist.

Article Link: http://laserboyfriend.blogspot.com/2012/10/how-to-dress-for-conference-like.html

So, what do you think? Do you agree or disagree with any of the ground rules above? Do you have any advice that might be helpful for other lady scientists or academics?