A Peak Into Open-Access Journals

Prior to this blog, I had not considered what is an open-access journal. I have seen the terminology used but had not questioned its meaning. After conducting a search for open-access journals in the field of Rhetoric and Writing, I quickly learned about Kairos journal, which is described as a “referred open-access” journal with an international readership that explores the intersection of rhetoric, technology, and pedagogy. Kairos only publishes twice per year and accepts 10% of the manuscripts submitted for publication. I remember reading articles published in Kairos for coursework but did not learn of the context of the journal until now. The intersections the journal explores aligns with my academic background and interests. I am working on a Ph.D. in Rhetoric and Writing, hold a Master’s in Technical Communication, and conducting research that interrogates pedagogical practices. Also, I am interested in building international academic relationships as I venture into the professoriate career path. One of my recent conversations with someone was about publishing in international journals as a way to cross borders and become known in my field. With Kairos having an international readership, if I am fortunate with getting my work published in the journal then I would be making strides towards creating the career that I am imagining.

I considered the following three questions as I analyzed the Kairos journal:

1. Where (location, organization, university, etc.) is the journal from?
  2. What are the purpose, goals, scope, etc. of the journal?
  3. How does the journal address/explain open access? How (if at all) does it position itself within the open access movement?

Where (location, organization, university, etc.) is the journal from?

• Situated as a premier journal in English Studies
    International readership (“Ascension Island to Zimbabwe”)
  • Individuals who are on Editorial Review come from various universities across the U.S. and top-scholars in the field of rhetoric and technical communication
  • Editorial staff are members of The Council of Editors of Learned Journals (CELJ)
  • Maintains affiliation with the Computers and Writing Conference to announce the journal’s awards

What are the purpose, goals, scope, etc. of the journal?

• Examines digital and multimodal composing practices
  • Work that enacts scholarly argument through rhetoric and new media
  • Publishes “webtexts”

How does the journal address/explain open access? How (if at all) does it position itself within the open access movement?

• Kairos provides a statement of copyright so that authors can be aware of what to expect
  • “Referred” open-access: three-tier editorial review process
  • As an open-access journal, Kairos explains there is no charge for submission to make the journal available for all

The concept of open access aligns with my perspective that knowledge should be free and accessible. In my quick search to understand open access, I learned that open access is an international movement, which has caused discord for some. There have been many times as a junior scholar where I am conducting research for a discourse analysis paper and a journal’s required subscription occludes my access to the article I seek. As we know, university libraries may take on the cost of subscriptions to support equal access to literature because that at the essence is what should happen.

Source:

http://technorhetoric.net/about.html

https://www.openaccess.nl/en/what-is-open-access