Research & Teaching

Research

My research interests include genetics, behavior, and working with the Drosophila model. Currently I am working on discovering more about the thermoreceptor-encoding genes TrPA1 and Gr28b, as well as any interactions that may exist between the two. My methods include usage of genetic tools, immunhistochemistry, and behavioral analysis.

My past research experience includes two other graduate research rotations (mosquito sex determination and health implementation science). Additionally, as an undergraduate I worked in a mammalian circadian research laboratory. I also participated in a summer REU at the Johns Hopkins University, where I studied sex determination in Drosophila.

Teaching

In the past I have been a GTA for the Introduction to Neuroscience Laboratory, where I assisted with giving lectures for two sections, helped prep and carry out the labs, graded assignments, and held office hours to answer student questions. I also held an undergraduate teaching position for the Phage Hunters II class, where I primarily assisted with student questions. In the future, I plan on TAing several more classes, as well as completing the coursework required for the VT graduate school’s Future Professoriate certificate program.

My teaching philosophy centers around making materials clear and interesting for all students who are taking a class, regardless of background or student characteristics. I enjoy engaging students in the subject material and piquing further interest. I most enjoy teaching in the field of genetics or closely related fields.