we will be able to build bridges to anywhere we want, whenever we want

It’s hard to imagine the days when I was not connected. My home back in Hong Kong first got its 56k dial-up connection through my Mom’s work connection (my Mom works at a university, employee’s perk). I still remember that I had to unplug our phone cord to insert the computer cable into the phone jack, then the computer would dial the modem and make this awful noise… Wait, I’m pretty sure I talked about this in a blog post a long time ago! Full circle huh? The web had came a long way. We are passed the half-way point for web 2.0, where user-generated contents rules. There was such a time where both Google and Facebook did not exist, today most of us have difficulty imagining life without them. In “World Wide Web”, the internet was boiled down to its basic components. It is, at its heart, information that were generated in a very decentralized way, which are hyperlinked together. An important fact was raised that, the act of this “hyperlink” do not change the nature of the two piece of information that were linked. Internet today still boils down to essentially that. You can click on a link on Facebook and be transferred to a completely unrelated webpage. That link itself however, do not impart any changes between the two parties. So essentially, the internet is like a giant crazy bridge building process. Even if the content creators are expanding toward the users as well, the connection, and the accessibility of these contents and information is what make the internet so unique. In recent years, these links can now also be dynamically generated; we no longer have to wait for the content provider to put the link there, but we the users can dynamically create the links as well. Dr. Campbell mention the sharing feature of Kindles, which is a great example of this. Any phrases or words from a book can be generated as a link to social networks. Not long from now, we will be able to build bridges to anywhere we want, whenever we want. On the web that is. What does Web 3.0 hold for us?