- Question and answer session for the AFP Community Enhancement Grant RFA: March 11, 2014 (3pm ET). Click here to connect. Phone-in information will be available when you log-in to the webinar session. Click here to connect to the webinar. If you are planning to participate, please go to this link to confirm your ability to log on to the Connect server. For best results, we suggest you use Firefox or Internet Explorer as your web browser.
- Whole Measures for Community Food Systems. Thursday, March 20th, 12 noon EST. Jeanette Abi-Nader will be joining us to discuss the Whole Measures for Community Food Systems! This is a great planning and evaluation tool for addressing community food security. Click here to connect to the webinar.If you are planning to participate, please go to this link to confirm your ability to log on to the Connect server. For best results, we suggest you use Firefox or Internet Explorer as your web browser.
Upcoming Workshops & Conferences:
- Going on now: free online conference. Food Growing Summit featuring Will Allen (Growing Power, Milwaukee), Vandana Shiva (Navdanya – Earth Democracy), Paul Stamets (Fungi Perfecti), Joel Salatin (Polyface Farm), Ocean Robbins (Food Revolution Network), John Valenzuela (Cornucopia Food Forest Gardens), Erika Allen (Growing Power, Chicago), and other farmers, home food growers and community activists involved in local food growing. Click here for more information.
- CSA Expert Exchange, March 6-7, 2014, Online. The CSA Expert Exchange is an online conference that will focus on issues relevant to beginning farmers and those just getting started in the world of CSA’s as well as topics such as marketing and social media, legal issues surrounding CSA’s, crop planning and CSA coalitions. The cost is $25 for day one, $55 for day 2, and $70 for both days. Read more and register here.
- Local Food Expo & Buyer Grower Mixer on Thursday, March 13th, at the Dream Center in Beckley, WV, learn more by clicking here.
- National Good Food Network: Food Hub Collaboration, Spring 2014 Conference, March 26-28, Raleigh, NC. This conference will feature multiple tracks for food hub managers and staff, networking and learning for support organizations, consultants and agencies, food hub and food business tours, opportunities to learn from your peers, network, and feel a part of an incredibly energetic community, and excellent local food from Eastern Carolina Organics, Firsthand Foods, and other local suppliers. For more information click here.
- Urban Agriculture Summit, April 14-16, Lynchburg VA, The Virginia Food System Council, Lynchburg Grows, VCE VDACS and The Virginia Farm Bureau Federation are hosting a two day conference addressing multiple aspects of agricultural and health issues in urban settings. This is slated to be an annual event bringing together 150-200 participants in Virginia’s community. Find more information and register here.
- 7th National Farm to Cafeteria Conference: Powering Up, April 15-18 in Austin, Texas. Registration now open, early-bird registration by March 4. Click here for more information.
Funding & Other Opportunities
- 2014 Mantis Tiller Award, Deadline: March 7 2014, NGA will select 25 outstanding applicants to receive Mantis tillers/cultivators. Any non-profit garden program may apply. 25 programs will each receive a Mantis Tiller/Cultivator with border/edger and kickstand, and their choice of gas-powered 2-cycle engine or electric motor. Total value: $349.00. Application information here.
- General Mills Champions for Healthy Kids, Deadline: March 21 2014. Through the Champions for Healthy Kids program, the General Mills Foundation will award 50 grants of $20,000 each to nonprofit organizations working to improve nutrition and physical fitness behaviors for youth. More information and application here.
- Ben & Jerry’s Foundation Grassroots Organizing for Social Change Grant, Deadline: March 21 2014, The foundation will award one-year grants of up to $20,000 to nonprofit, grassroots community-organizing groups in the United States to further social and environmental justice and support sustainable and just-food systems. Grants can be used to support either programming or operations costs. The foundation will only consider proposals from grassroots, constituent-led organizations that have annual budgets under $500,000 and are using direct action, grassroots, and community-organizing strategies to accomplish their goals. Read more here.
- Food Hub Development Grant Program Request for Applications. The application deadline is March 30, 2014. To learn more about the grant program and review the complete RFA and timeline, click here. The Wallace Center will host a technical assistance webinar for potential applicants on March 5, 2014 from 3:30 to 4:30 pm EST, register for the webinar by clicking here.
- RFA for Community Food Grants from the USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture, Applications are due March 31, 2014 at 5pm ET. Find out more here.
We’d like to include more opportunities. If you know of others, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, or share in the comments section. Thank you!