According to the National Center for Education Statistics, there are approximately 4,300 degree-granting postsecondary institutions in the United States. Every institute will have primary various mission and values based on the type and characters of themselves. I wanted to look at the mission statements of both research university and community college in Washington State. Both institutions are located in the Seattle area, which I stayed almost for two years before.
I could find that their mission and primary focus has both similarity and differentiation. University of Washington (UW) has focused on “Discovery” and innovation as a research university. Their education goal is to make a diverse student body as a future leader and global citizen. Their vision and mission scope is a nationwide and worldwide perspective. As a public research university and leading university of the community, they lead to solving social problems. For example, Seattle is the first COVID patient-reported city in the US. I found that university researchers and administrators played a role in contributing the social issues on various sides. One of the cases is that their parking lot has started to the first drive-through COVID inspection center in the State. Also, I could directly go through their counter measurements because, at that time, one of my courses had started on-line from the end of February. I believe it was the fastest action for the community and students, even though it has become a common situation these days.
Bellevue College also has a core mission as innovation. Compare to UW, Bellevue College’s mission is more focused on the community and students. Their core value is to provide the community with life-long education and opportunities for the future. There is no reason that all universities should focus on unique or novel research as their major missions. Various types and ranges of higher education must be provided in our community, like all students pursue different goals and achievements based on their varieties. Also, I hope every individual who wants to study would be able to access higher education and have opportunities as various range and shape of institutions. More variety will make more creativity and affluence of our academics.
University of Washington
Vision The University of Washington educates a diverse student body to become responsible global citizens and future leaders through a challenging learning environment informed by cutting-edge scholarship.
Discovery is at the heart of our university.
We discover timely solutions to the world’s most complex problems and enrich the lives of people throughout our community, the state of Washington, the nation and the world.
Uniquely Washington The University of Washington’s vision and strategic priorities reflect the core values and culture that make us great and unique
- UW Standard of Excellence We recruit the best, most diverse and innovative faculty and staff from around the world, encouraging a vibrant intellectual community for our students. We link academic excellence to cutting-edge research through scholarly exploration and intellectual rigor. We hold ourselves to the highest standards of ethics, as a beacon for our community and the world.
- Academic Community We are educators and learners. We promote access to excellence and strive to inspire through education that emphasizes the power of discovery and the foundation of critical and analytic thinking. We foster creativity, challenge the boundaries of knowledge and cultivate independence of mind through unique interdisciplinary partnerships.
- World Leaders in Research We have grown into the most successful public research university in the nation in attracting support for our research. Ours is a proud culture of innovation, collaboration and discovery that has transformational impact.
- Celebrating Place The natural beauty of the Pacific Northwest envelops us. This is an important element of who we are, for this awe-inspiring place not only anchors us, it reaffirms our desire to effect positive change in the world around us. We accept gratefully our role in preserving and enhancing Washington: the place, the people, our home.
- Spirit of Innovation As Washingtonians, we are profoundly optimistic about our future. Based on our past and present, we find inspiration for the future. Ours is a culture with a determined persistence that engenders innovation and a belief that our goals can be realized.
- World Citizens We are compassionate and committed to the active pursuit of global engagement and connectedness. We assume leadership roles to make the world a better place through education and research. We embrace our role to foster engaged and responsible citizenship as part of the learning experience of our students, faculty and staff.
- Being Public As a public university we are deeply committed to serving all our citizens. We collaborate with partners from around the world to bring knowledge and discovery home to elevate the quality of lives of Washingtonians. This measure of public trust and shared responsibility guides our decision-making as well as our aspirations and vision for the future.
Vision Statement Bellevue College is the region’s college of choice, based on its excellence, innovation, and national recognition for exemplary programs.
Core Values We, the Board of Trustees, faculty, staff and administration of Bellevue College, place students at the center of all we do and support and promote the excellence of their efforts. We affirm and embody pluralism, value collaboration and shared decision making, and honor creativity and innovation. We consider it our duty to anticipate changing demands in education and welcome the opportunity to shape its future. We acknowledge our responsibility to society and embrace the belief that widespread access to excellent post-secondary education is the cornerstone of a democratic society.
Mission Bellevue College is a student-centered, comprehensive and innovative college, committed to teaching excellence, that advances the life-long educational development of its students while strengthening the economic, social and cultural life of its diverse community. The college promotes student success by providing high-quality, flexible, accessible educational programs and services; advancing pluralism, inclusion and global awareness; and acting as a catalyst and collaborator for a vibrant region.