Guerrilla Teaching

Would you welcome the idea of another faculty member coming into your classroom and engaging your class, while you are teaching it?

I came across the idea of guerrilla teaching, and I have to say that I find the idea rather intriguing. Basically, participating in guerrilla teaching  means that you would be okay with another instructor entering your classroom and engaging with the students, and/or that you would be the one going into another classroom and doing the same.

I sort of like the idea, and I think it meshes with some of the learner centered classroom ideas we’ve been talking about. First, I think that interaction with other faculty supports the idea that the students are in an environment where learners of any sort are welcome. It supports the idea that faculty don’t really know everything, and that we acknowledge that we have a lot to learn from each other, and from students. Also, if this type of teaching is going to work, the classroom environments must be amenable to mixing things up a bit. A little more improv is necessary. I think a lot of the teaching techniques that we’ve talked about would allow for 5-10 minutes of discussion that’s on topic, but maybe not originally in the plans. It is also a great way to bring in new points of view or offer new ways of explaining and experiencing your material.

This type of interaction can serve as an example for students too. How do you react to a topic you are eager to learn about, but have little knowledge in. What sort of interesting questions can we ask about the topic at hand?

What do you guys think about the idea of letting a colleague come in and run the show for a few minutes? I think I would be up for it.

For more info see: Using Guerrilla Tactics to Improve Teaching by By: Matt Anderson and Micah Fierstein

1 comment for “Guerrilla Teaching