Mission Statements

Mission statements are often overlooked by most of the students at an institution of higher learning, I am certainly guilty of this myself. They can be, however, a very revealing look at the goals and values that an institution holds. I felt that it would be interesting to compare the mission statements for two very different universities, the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology (NMT) and the University of Cambridge.

New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology:

New Mexico Tech serves the state and beyond through education, research, and service, focused in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. Involved faculty educate a diverse student body in rigorous and collaborative programs, preparing scientists and engineers for the future. Our innovative and interdisciplinary research expands the reach of humanity’s knowledge and capabilities. Researchers, faculty, and students work together to solve real world problems. Our economic development and technology transfer benefit the economy of the state and create opportunities for success. We serve the public through applied research, professional development, and teacher education, benefitting the people of New Mexico.

The University of Cambridge:

The mission of the University of Cambridge is to contribute to society through the pursuit of education, learning, and research at the highest international levels of excellence.

I am intrigued by the vast diversity in these two statements. I like that the University of Cambridge had such a concise mission statement. A single sentence is enough to convey the core values that the university holds. I also like that the mission statement for NMT specifically addresses helping New Mexico because the state has a large under-educated population and I believe that more needs to be done to make higher education accessible to those people.