Do you have an idea for an About Campus article?
Would you like to develop your voice and reach a broader audience?
The About Campus Writers Retreat is designed to provide a supportive, collaborative environment in which you can develop your idea while bolstering your skills and confidence as a writer. Through workshops, one-on-one consultations, and creative activities, the editorial team will push you to break out of the confines of academic style and to embrace the writing process in new ways. As writer Anne Lamott notes in her classic book on writing, Bird by Bird,
“This business of becoming conscious, of being a writer, is ultimately about asking yourself, How alive am I willing to be?”
When you leave us, our hope is that you will carry with you a strong draft, along with a close working relationship with a member of the About Campus editorial team, who will continue working with you when you get home. The retreat will ultimately culminate in an issue of About Campus dedicated to select articles developed during this process.
- Opportunities to collaborate with a small cohort of colleagues from across higher education, including faculty, student-affairs professionals, and others
- Perspectives on the About Campus mission, style, and editorial process
- Workshops on storytelling and ways to hook your readers
- Activities to inspire creativity and wordplay
- Scheduled writing time
- One-on-one coaching with a member of the About Campus editorial team
- Peer critiques
For More Information, Visit Us at ACPA 2015 in Tampa!
Going to the ACPA conference in Tampa? Please attend our information session: “Joining the Conversation: Strengthening Your Writing and Exploring the About Campus Summer 2015 Writers Retreat” (day and time TBA).