A Wonderful Programming Environment

I’ve been using Linux based operating systems (mostly Ubuntu, however I’ve dabbled in some other distributions) for just about a year now. When I first started using Ubuntu, I had no idea how to get anything done. I simply had the operating system installed on my computer for the fact of having it rather than using it. I came in with the desire for a Windows-like experience and almost no will to try anything else, so I didn’t make it very far. However, I was lucky enough to have a software engineering internship this past summer and had a wonderful group of engineers help me in the process of getting¬†acquainted¬†with Linux. In the beginning of the internship I dabbled in the terminal only when it was necessary, used gedit to write all of my programs, and didn’t even know how to compile my C++ code. Through the internship, I got used to bash and many of its powerful features, I learned to use vim (a program that could only be described as a nightmare to me when I used it first), and I learned to use python and GCC to develop scripts and programs to achieve my tasks. While I could do many of these things in Windows, my productivity soared in Linux. Linux now has claimed its place as my favorite development environment. Frankly, it’s just fun to program in Linux.

3 thoughts on “A Wonderful Programming Environment

1. I had a similar experience as you with the exception with the internship. I found programming in Linux so much more enjoyable than windows for some reason, although that was not the case at first. It seemed more daunting and confusing at first since it’s so different than what I was used to but once I got used to the terminal and everything, programming seemed smoother and faster. I also like how you can do everything through the terminal, even though that was a bit hard to get used to at first it was worth learning. In general, I feel like Linux just makes programmers feel more empowered.

2. At first glance, I thought this was going to be about an IDE for Linux, which interested me because I had been looking for one a while back. While googling advice and coming across some good results such as codeblocks and monodevelop, I came to realize that for the most part, thats just not how things are done there (for quick little assignment-like programs at least). I envy your knowledge of vim, as I dearly wish to learn how to use it. I just have yet to commit to learning the process of typing out the program in a text editor and compiling in a terminal opposed to the convenience of an IDE that underlines my errors and offers of a quick press of ctrl+F5 for compiling. I hope to change this as the semester progresses.

3. I agree with your assessment, when I started using ubuntu a year ago, I was pretty lost. However, now I find myself wishing I could get rid of windows completely. Unfortunately, I’ve had to keep it around for programs required by classes with no linux version/alternative, but primarily video games. I’ve been tempted to dabble around with wine, but I’ve heard it’s very limited.

Out of curiosity what type of powerful features did you find yourself liking about bash? I have not used it prior to this class, but could see it used to shorten the number of commands for compiling/running on the command line, or something similar. Could the same be accomplished using python and would it be easier or harder?