1. joeconnorwilly

I really like this picture and everything that we can interpret from it. It’s very interesting to study Central Asia and the mix of culture that exists in it. Bukhara is a Muslim nation, but was part of the Russian Empire. The blurred grey-areas on the boarders of different cultures are more interesting to me than the heartlands. It’s also interesting to note that the Emir’s son went back to the Soviet Union after the fall of the Emirate, when his father fled to Afghanistan. What is Bukhara like today, being part of Uzbekistan.

Reply

2. court18

Hey Jessica! I really enjoyed this post and I think you bring up an awesome point in that last sentence about Bukhara moving away from its Central Asian customs. I think that it is a point that could also be applied to Russia as a whole. Isn’t it interesting how a country that is overwhelmingly Asian in its geography is so frequently associated with Europe and European customs? I think that Russia’s shift away from its Central Asian roots has majorly affected its history and political state. Because the majority of the country has become so wholly and uniquely “Russian” in religion and culture, I think that there are issues for those regions that do not want to give up their non-“Russian” traditions. For example, there have been major violent conflicts stemming from the region of Chechnya wanting to become autonomous because their traditions differ so greatly from the rest of the state.

Reply

3. Ben Wolfenstein

One question that came to mind reading this post was if there was any relation with Alim Khan going to Afghanistan and the Soviet invasion of the country in 1980. Although I doubt it, there could have been an underlying grudge against the place that hid him from the Bolsheviks. The Soviets had a major influence on Central Asia, but I’d like to find out more about Russian influence pre-Soviet Union. I found it interesting how indirect this particular influence was, but Khan’s education in St. Petersburg had to hugely impact Bukhara.

What really attracts me to this photo is the color. We talked in class about Prokudin-Gorskii’s use of color photography, but every one of his pictures makes me do a double-take when I realize they were taken before 1917. Most photos from this era are in black and white, and a black and white version of this would not even catch most people’s eyes. But put in color with his blue gown with green leaves and purple and yellow flowers, not to mention the gold belt, show how wealthy Khan was.

Reply

4. Timur Djan

May name is Seyyid Mir Timur Djan Khan, I’m the only living male Descendant of the last Emir of Bukhara. The other Persons traces back to female members .

We Members of the Manghit Dynasty lives since 1920 in different Countriy’s like USA, Turkey and Germany.
    Since 1920 until today it is not allowed of any Person from the Family to visit Usbekistan.
    Sencereliy: Timur Djan…

Reply

• Andrey

Usa decendants here

Reply

5. link

What i do not realize is if truth be told how you are no longer actually a lot more well-liked than you may be now. You are very intelligent. You recognize therefore considerably in terms of this subject, produced me individually believe it from so many various angles. Its like women and men aren’t involved except it’s something to do with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs great. All the time take care of it up!

Reply

6. Gail Denk

The core of your writing while appearing agreeable originally, did not settle properly with me after some time. Someplace throughout the sentences you were able to make me a believer but only for a while. I however have a problem with your leaps in logic and you would do well to help fill in all those gaps. If you actually can accomplish that, I could surely end up being impressed.

Reply

7. furtdso linopv

Hey, you used to write fantastic, but the last several posts have been kinda boring… I miss your great writings. Past several posts are just a bit out of track! come on!

Reply

8. izmirde diyetisyen

diyetisyen izmir

Reply

9. instagram bayan takipçi

oooo welcome thank you. ı from england. Your blog is very beatiful

Reply

10. diyetisyen

istanbul diyetisyen, diyet, zayıflama, kilo verme, diyet listesi

Reply

11. otobüsle avrupa turu

En uygun fiyat garantili otobüsle avrupa turu

Reply

12. tesettür oteller

Antalya islami oteller

Reply

13. instagram takipçi satın al

oooo welcome thank you. ı from england. Your blog is very beatifulll

Reply

• Abdul Karim Khanani

Hello instagram takipçi satın al
      Shall appreciate if you can contact me to exchange historical views on the subject.
      I am in south London

Reply

14. instagram takipçi satın al

oooo welcome thank you. ı from england. Your blog is very

Reply

15. instagram takipçi satın al

oooo welcome thank you. ı from england. Your blog

Reply