1. A. Nelson

Thanks for the putting the cat massacre in comparative perspective! Gander pulling sounds pretty awful (but see comments on Kristin’s and Betsy’s posts…about changing cultural norms). We should have a good discussion on Tuesday! In the meantime, here’s my Monty Python nugget for you (and Taylor – more proof of the importance of FRANCE!): http://youtu.be/dk47saogI8o

Reply

2. mslilly81

You always have such interesting pictures. I’m a Monty Python fan, too, but I don’t remember that many cat references. Spanish Inquisition, Ministry of Silly Walks, and the Knights Who Say Nee is more up my alley.

Anyway, I think that there must be a point to bizarre (and gross) rituals, even though that point might be hard to find. Honestly, I’m not sure I want to know why people killed cats and pulled a goose’s neck off. Of course, I’m saying this and I’m the one that will be studying serial killers and the like in 19th century England. Point is, yes, there is a reason why people do those things, and I think it’s up to the individual to determine if that reason has any importance.

Reply

3. trseabro

Nice job tying in other readings! I read the Gorn article about fights for a class with Scott Nelson at W&M but never really recognized anthropology in any of what I have done till now. My conception was that anthropologists worked with present-day cultures, but I am glad to see that history can get in on the adventure too! People’s customs, especially those they don’t keep anymore, are fascinating…the evolution of what modern people (judging from other posts and comments) consider cruel is also interesting. Maybe all this stuff could help me pick a thesis topic!

Reply

4. Tim G. (a Hokie colleague)

Your reference to Monty Python took me back to “Toonces the Driving Cat (Saturday Night Live),” an equalizer wreaking havoc against humanity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywQEcv22Mdk

Reply

5. Clifton

Enhance the effect of an elliptical machine as a 24hr fitness trainer,
    by deciding upon a machine that also capabilities
    handlebars for a incredibly effective total human body exercise.
    When creating a slogan, aim for the heart by playing up the emotional
    effect. Vegetables and fruits are excellent sources
    of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.

Reply

6. Jen L.

What is the credit/archive/source of the guy holding his opponent by his teeth? Just above the image of talon fingernails from Gorn’s article? I’d like to use it, but I can’t find that particular image anywhere else

Reply