The disadvantages for the current grading systems

I believe that the current method of the grading system does not work well and it is not a suitable indicator for the evaluations and assessments. I mention three disadvantages for it:

• I explained this issue in my first blog related to the connected learning. I repeat it in this blog and suggest an alternative. I believe that there is no balance in education systems in the universities related to grading. You can imagine two students in the same major from two different universities. They have passed the same courses, but one of them took courses with some instructors who took easily. Therefore, the GPA of them is completely different. But, their knowledge is the same. They apply for a specific job and the investigator observes their GPA. Who will he be hired? Absolutely, the person who has higher GPA. So, I believe that current the education system is not fair. All of the students follow up their majors to get a degree. But, this degree cannot be an appropriate indicator of their qualifications.  We should find another method to certify the students about their knowledge. I want to suggest certifications instead of degrees. Certifications may be awarded to certify that the students know some skills in that area. Therefore, the employers should evaluate their applicants with more effective ways to select most qualified individuals for their jobs.

• I personally believe that the exams are so stressful and I will be under pressure during exams. So I think we may need to find a better way to evaluate the students. This type of assessment may be the easiest way but it is not the best.

• Each country has the own grading system. For example, the grading scale in Iran is from 0 to 20. In this link, you may find the grading system for each country: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grading_systems_by_country . One issue regarding these differences is when the students want to apply to the universities in other countries. I had this problem when I applied to the US universities.  I firstly thought that I should divide my GPA by 5 to convert it to the US grading system. But after some applications, I understood that I needed to follow the specific instruction of each university to convert my GPA. For example Virginia Tech asked me to consider the grades above 16 as A.  Therefore, I think that the education systems should try to solve this problem. I could not find the reason for these differences and I do not know if it is related to the type of education system or not. I hope to find an answer to my question in Donna Riley’s discussion.
This entry was posted in Contemporary Pedagogy – Spring 2016. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to The disadvantages for the current grading systems

1. Homero says:

Thanks for sharing!

I think things are getting better and will become much better. For example, some companies like Google, Apple, Aramark, PG, and even in my own experience working in HR for Johnson and Johnson, grades keep being less important when students are being recruited. At J&J, we cared about the person, and who they were rather than a GPA or even a resume. The stories that students were able to tell gave us a better sense of their skills and competencies. One of the most important thing to consider is that they could be a fit for the CREDO of the company (system of values), and you can’t find that on a GPA.